cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Free Offer Costs Money

drhfgibson

Plusnet Free Offer Costs Money

I am a Plusnet subscriber.  A survey with rewards pop-up appeared on my PC.  I completed the survey and selected Exclusive NoFlame Starter Kit - "Free!" - leading to https://pro.noflameecig.com/checkout/ and "Exclusive Offer Terms: By clicking confirm my order, you agree to be enrolled in the 14 day trial offer for £4.95 which is the cost of shipping, and after the trial expires, you agree that your card will be charged £69.99 for the Starter Kit. Your refill cartridges will recur at £49.99 plus shipping and handling every month from the time of initial purchase until you cancel." - very naughty I think - what do you think?

8 REPLIES
John_Hull
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Free Offer Costs Money

This sounds similar to a pop up we had on a Tesco site. It may have nothing to do with Plusnet, they just skin the advert from your cookies in some way. I may be wrong, perhaps someone from Plusnet will be along to confirm. 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yup is not PN its a Scam !!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Definitely sounds like a scam and has nothing to do with Plusnet.

We've seen similar surveys in the past:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Announcements/Pop-up-and-surveys/m-p/1200560/highlight/true#...

I'd recommend ignoring the survey and maybe checking for malware on your computer.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
John_Hull
Grafter

I'm not sure when all this happened, but you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period, which they should have given you notification of. If they didn't tell you your cancellation rights, then they extend to a year (or 14 days after they give you notification) . You should be entitled to a full refund, including the standard delivery costs, although you may have to pay return postage (Thank the EU and their Distance Selling Directive 😉)

PM me if I can help, or call the National Consumer Helpline on 03454 04 05 06

David_W
Rising Star

It's a scam, so how does it work?

If you click http://whatismyipaddress.com it'll tell you what your IP address is as well as who your ISP is, so imagine an advertisement which when displayed on a pop up uses that information to display "offer from <your ISP>", you think it's from your ISP because they know who your ISP is.

Then they can con you with that kind of "offer", and you blame your ISP rather than the culprit because it stated PlusNet.

You also stated you completed a survey, what sort of information did they ask for?  Home address?  Phone number?  Email address? If so, expect scam phone calls and scam emails.  Hopefully you didn't give any financial information out, though if you gave too much information out I would be slightly worried about identity theft.

Community Veteran

Fancy saying it's free and then finding out there are other costs involved.

No reputable company would do anything as underhand as that would they.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

billnotben wrote:

No reputable company would do anything as underhand as that would they.

I agree, and as per every reply to this thread, this is clearly a scam and has nothing to do with Plusnet.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Glad you agreed.

Completely missed the irony though.