cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plumbing problem

Fixes: 125

Plumbing problem

Been meaning meaning to post this for quite some time but kept forgetting till next time I'm at the kitchen sink.
Basically when we turn the hot tap on we get a good stream of water which gradually reduces in power. Turn the tap up a little more and the stream becomes faster but reduces over time again.
Also the hot water from a instantaneous boiler (no idea how or why it works) gets colder then warms up, gets colder, warms up etc. but but not necessarily at the same time as the power loss.
None of this happens at any of the other hot water taps (bathroom and upstairs spare room).
Not a major issue but one I've wondered about it for a while. Are these symptoms of bigger issues or just leave it alone (not something I would tackle myself anyhow)?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

27 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Plumbing problem

I get that on some of my taps, it's down to an old degrading washer that expands as the hot water soaks into it reducing the flow.
Community Veteran

It's the same cause for both problems.
The hot tap washer is expanding as it heats up. This slows the flow and, in turn, the boiler thinks that the hot water is no longer required.
The kitchen sink taps probably need new washers. At the very least have them looked at!
Geoff,
York.
kdoug007
Grafter

SAD  ME.. my  water  is never    that  hot...
  as i only  have  the  timer  on for  20 mins  night/day...
its the  1/4  bill  i  dont  want a  shock!!
Fixes: 125

Thanks for the replies.
Quote from: NedLudd
The kitchen sink taps probably need new washers. At the very least have them looked at!

As we plan to move some time this year I'll leave things alone. We've survived over two years with it Lips are sealed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Our kitchen taps have been doing that for 25 years, now I know the cause I can fix it..............thanks Wink
Razer
Grafter

I wish I could disassemble my bath taps so that I could change the washers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Good luck to you on changing the bath tap washers, changed the cold water one no problem but the hot water one was a nightmare !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you think you might have problems changing a tap washer, due to age...... either your own,..... or the tap(s) in question.... then I would recommend getting a plumber in to  do the job....
may seem expensive for a 50 p set of washers.... but...... not so expensive if you break something and you have to call him in to fix it, or you get water all over the place because you didn`t do something up tight...
Razer
Grafter

It was the thought of the expense of getting a plumber in just to change a little washer that prompted me to looking in to changing it myself (cold water tap, if it makes any difference - though I had thought I may as well do both). My first problem was finding a video on youtube with my kind of taps; I couldn't. I then found the website of the maker (Pegler), and from the model number got to see a diagram of how the pieces go together/come apart. Alas, my parts, as it were, don't want to come apart, and even though I can still get a wrench in the small gap I can still get by opening the tap right up and lifting the collar, I just can't turn the nut and I'm too afraid to use more force for fear of breaking the pipe (and my uncertainty that, despite looking at a diagram, I really am doing the right thing - on paper and practical are two different things). Now I just have a jug to collect the dripping water until such time as I can get over my seething at knowing I am going to have to pay a plumber to come and do it.  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

See.................. You know it makes sense !
( If he breaks it..... he pays (himself) to fix it ... ) ... Hopefully, he gives you a quote before he starts the job, so you know how much it will cost you.
Razer
Grafter

I wouldn't agree without a quote, and I'll still deeply resent paying for it. Grin
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Razer
Alas, my parts, as it were, don't want to come apart, and even though I can still get a wrench in the small gap

I've always found careful application of a blow-lamp flame around the body of the tap helps. Of course that assumes you have access to a blow-lamp.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Razer
Grafter

I don't. Perhaps a small stick of dynamite might help. Is it wise for me to ask this, given your avatar?
Fixes: 47

Only Acme dynamite available Smiley
Try boiling a kettle of water and pouring it over the tap. Then attack it with a spanner or other appropriate device.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation