cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plebgate Police Charged

Community Veteran

Plebgate Police Charged

A Police Officer has been charged in the Plebgate affair.
Plebgate
I wonder if any others will be charged as well Undecided
17 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Plebgate Police Charged

its rather disgraceful that all the officers involved weren't arrested the day of the disclosure given a gagging order and put on leave until the results of an investigation into any wrongdoing were known, instead they allowed this farce to play out in the media where the man guilty of being slightly irrational was hounded into resigning and on discovering he had done nothing compared to the falsification of official records and lying under oath performed by various uniformed officers.
if this is to be a true reckoning with the dodgy coppers on duty that day they will all get charged with perverting the course of justice at the very least, despite the fact several of those present clearly knew what happened they lied and claimed to be ignorant at the very least, then allowed the falsified reports to stand without speaking up!
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I sure this will be the first of a number of arrests.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I am not
"Taking it all into account, including the accounts of the officer at the gate of Downing Street and that of Andrew Mitchell MP before, during and after the incident, we have found that there is insufficient evidence to show that the officer at the gate lied in his account.
"The CPS has also found that there is insufficient evidence to show that Mr Mitchell was the victim of a conspiracy of misinformation."
WTF
Grafter

What surprised me about that whole thing is how everyone got so fixated about the word 'pleb' in the reported diatribe, completely ignoring the far worse (IMO) bit where he was supposed to have told the police to "know your place".
Re the officers who made the claims: it's still their word against Mitchells about what was said.  We will probably never know the truth.
The officer who lied about overhearing them is clearly in the wrong and should be prosecuted and thrown off the force.
Re the union reps: I heard their impromptu 'news conference' and claiming they lied about what was said in the meeting is a distortion.  What they said was imperfectly expressed, but my clear understanding was that they claimed Mitchell hadn't changed his story.  And that's exactly what the tape showed.  That they didn't believe him - and didn't call him a liar to his face - doesn't make them liars.  Also, if you accept that they didn't believe Mitchell, expressing the opinion that his position was no longer tenable is reasonable - if injudicious.
EDIT: according to the radio report I heard on the way home, seems the DPP agrees with me  Smiley
Community Veteran

I think the 3 officers who appeared before the Commons Select Committee will be taken to task eventually.
Community Veteran

if he did tell them to "know your place", i'd be inclined to agree with mr mitchell.  the police no longer seem to  think that they serve us, but are our masters to order us about and if we don't accede pronto, will arrest us brutally.  i acknowledge that this is not true of all of them, but too many are thugs with authority.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
if he did tell them to "know your place", i'd be inclined to agree with mr mitchell.  the police no longer seem to  think that they serve us, but are our masters to order us about and if we don't accede pronto, will arrest us brutally.  i acknowledge that this is not true of all of them, but too many are thugs with authority

If he said it, you can't help thinking it was less a comment on policing standards and more an illustration of a former public schoolboy's world view - a former public schoolboy and self confessed "stern disciplinarian" who earned the nickname "Thrasher" at Rugby School..
Suddenly becoming clear why it was so easy to believe the original reports ..?
RichAllen
Grafter

20 odd years ago during careers week at school, I had a mock interview to possibly be a Bobby, bad idea I know due to me being disabled and deaf, but nothing else interested me at the time.
myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
What surprised me about that whole thing is how everyone got so fixated about the word 'pleb' in the reported diatribe, completely ignoring the far worse (IMO) bit where he was supposed to have told the police to "know your place".

Have you looked up the word pleb?
/facepalm
WTF
Grafter

I see where you're coming from, but the meaning of the word has evolved a tad in the last 2,500 years and is now roughly synonymous with working class. There's a difference between telling someone they're working class and telling them to show due deference.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Surley if the officer is proven to have lied, then all convictions based on his evidence will be open to review?
WTF
Grafter

In theory, I guess.
Can't imagine that in reality, there are too many convictions that relied entirely on his evidence.  Scepticism about police evidence is hardly new.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if he lied all his cases will be reviewed and any where he testified about evidence chain or discovery will be thrown under the spotlight, fortunately we rarely have just one bloke doing anything so unless his cronies were also involved in the plebgate and any trial evidence things should be fairly safe.....

as for calling someone a pleb and telling them to known there place, the plod at downing street are broadly speaking glorified security guards with a few extra powers, for a manager to say such a thing isn't exactly out of place, its just a direct rollicking for being an obtuse jobs worth, something that despite policy of not opening the gate has very little to do with anything untoward, the fact that the plod(s) involved co-opted other officers into a conspiracy against Mr Mitchel is however unforgivable and speaks far greater volumes about there character as disgruntled employees than it does about Mr Mitchel and his apparent superiority complex (which to be fair wasn't actually that far off the mark)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
myredhotcar
Grafter

Quote from: WTF
I see where you're coming from, but the meaning of the word has evolved a tad in the last 2,500 years and is now roughly synonymous with working class

I accept your point, words do change meaning. However, the OED are constantly reviewing words and if the word truly has changed meaning I would expect them to include that. Also, as mentioned by other posters, Mitchell is an ex public schoolboy which makes the slur that bit more pointed. Most of the police officers I have met have been working class comprehensive types. It just doesn't look good for a Nasty Party MP to be using classist slurs in the same way that it would look bad for, say, a BNP MP to use racist ones.
It reminds me a little of the Ricky Gervais 'mong' controversy http://www.theguardian.com/society/joepublic/2011/oct/19/ricky-gervais-mong-twitter (some NSFW language). He claimed the word 'mong' no longer means what it did; that it has changed meaning. His fans then took great delight in labelling dissenters with the mong label, yet when a disabled actress waded in to voice her distaste nobody called her a mong. Which sort of suggests the word hasn't really lost its meaning.