Did you mean: 

Please sign my petition

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Please sign my petition

Quote from: geofftswin
Quote from: okrzynska

Quote from: geofftswin
The future is to "undo" the damage that Ernest Marples caused to our rail network though; however once again it will be tricky as lots of the land is now being used as housing developments etc.

Don't you mean Dr Beeching? - It was his reports (known as the Beeching axe) which ultimately were the root cause of our railway destruction. Like you I don't understand the mentality of it either.

No - I definitely mean Ernest Marples.  He was the one who employed Beeching and gave guidelines as to which week to survey rail traffic (i.e. 1 week when traffic would be reduced).

Hmm.. while I can see what you're saying and it does indeed make sense, I still find it hard to believe that they would go by one weeks worth of traffic rather than a years worth of financial data. This definitely stinks of political corruption doesn't it. I read somewhere that when he was interviewed in 1985, Beeching having seen the destruction of this country his report had caused had 2 regrets: That 2 routes he recommended for closure had survived. What a ***t. Clarkson for PM... even he and the TG team admire the trains.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
he finds this disturbing because his votes are obviously being recorded somewhere even though you're supposed to have the right to vote anonymously.

Here we go again Roll eyes
You go into a polling station, take a ballot paper into a screened booth and put a X on it.  There is nothing on the ballot paper to identify you.  You then go and drop the paper into a big black, sealed box.  Can you explain how it is possible for your vote to be seen and recorded by anyone else Sad
randpwar
Grafter

The voters' electoral register numbers are written on the counterfoils of the ballots issued to them.
From the article below:
'Votes can be traced by matching the numbered ballot paper to its similarly numbered counterfoil; the numbered counterfoil also bears the voter's registration number from the electoral register which is hand-written by the Polling Clerk when the ballot paper is issued'
I think parties can gain access to previous Election voting slips after so many years; 20 springs to mind but I could be completely wrong

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1051,00.html
Community Veteran

Now, now randpwar, can't have you supporting me.. Wink
Here we go again? Artmo, i know you don't like me much but i'm not the only moaner on this forum am I.
randpwar
Grafter

Didn’t think I (or you!!) was moaning matey.  Wink
Voting slips are, theoretically at least, traceable to a voter in the method mentioned but that’s as long as political parties (or anyone else I suppose) have access to voting slips from previous elections. As I say, I do think that after a period of time that they become available but, equally, I’m far from certain. I would be very interested if someone could find out for certain 
Community Veteran

If randpwar is correct there is a 20 year period before info is released.  How many people live in the same home for that length of time?  Are you suggesting you don't vote either?
It's not a case of liking or disliking you.  I just get fed up with your constant negative attitude.  You seem unable to see a positive side to anything.  If the UK is so bad why not emigrate?
Community Veteran

I've had a real rough ride artmo.. sorry.. maybe thats changed my view on the world I dunno. It used to be wonderful when I was young until people started making it bloody hard for me. There are only so many kicks in the teeth you can take and still have a positive outlook. I hope you never have to suffer that.
I won't go into details.. but it's been ****ing horrible for me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

Perhaps you should start another thread.... and get back to what my Original Post is about.....
Petitioning the government to do something..... rather than wingeing on about what it is NOT doing....
(yes Pierre, I do know that this board is allowed to go off topic.... Roll eyes but how far ..............................? Undecided )
randpwar
Grafter

Link below suggests that voting slips are destroyed ‘as the law prescribes’
So no-one gets to see them after the election and therefore, as artmo says, they are secret.

http://www.kettering.gov.uk/electoralservices/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=343&pageNum...
Community Veteran

I'll point my mate to that, maybe he'll believe it... (probably not tho lol)
@shutter sorry for derailment there, i think we're back now Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

So, lets see the signature counter going up on my petition then  

275 views on this thread.....
yet only 2 signatures.......

COME ON !!!!
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/6272

pierre_pierre
Grafter

out of interest, this week but my post code down an a deed of covenet form for a charity(the Rhiedol raiway), they immediately came back with my name from the voters list
Community Veteran

Sorry Shutter - back on topic.  Just to see what happened I tried to vote again but it wouldn't let me. Guess that's what the personal info is for.
One thing I did notice is that the captcha is a little difficult to read.  I'm sure some people wouldn't manage to read it.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

And the people that do want to sign might get faced with this. Screenshot taken just now.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

No problem for me.  I guess the message isn't seen much Undecided