Did you mean: 

Please sign my petition

Community Veteran

Re: Please sign my petition

okrzynska they are currently widening the M25 to 4 lanes Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Fab stuff!.. and a wink from you too! I really must of said something good today Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 23

Good job I put the petition on for a 12 months....
Presumably you are all happy to sit on a motorway for hours on end  because despite 133 view, only 2 people have signed the petition ...
seems you are more than happy to "bitch" about it on the forum than to TRY to get something done about it....
Come On... it ain`t costing you nowt ... even a Yokshuman or a Scot can afford to do something here.....
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I will sign It shortly Gerry Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
gswindale
Grafter

Trouble with widening a motorway is that the traffic soon grows to fill the space.
On the M25 there is no space to widen it past 4 lanes in some places without removing at least one of the terminals at Heathrow; taking out the A30 at Staines etc.
The future is to "undo" the damage that Ernest Marples caused to our rail network though; however once again it will be tricky as lots of the land is now being used as housing developments etc.
Normally though if the road is expected to be closed for a fair while (for instance need to land helicopter ambulances etc) they do block it at a preceding junction & divert traffic off.  The only problem is turning traffic around that is in the holdup.
I for one would not fancy trying to turn through a gap in the central reservation to come face to face with some nutter doing 90+ down the outside lane.  Presumably in order to remove the tailbacks in one direction; the outside lane in the other would have to be closed off to allow traffic to join safely and get up to "racing speed"?
On the subject of the petition - I'm a little confused though - is it to reduce the time taken to re-open motorways etc or is it to simply reduce the tailbacks?  It seems to suggest 2 things rather than being an explicit statement.
Community Veteran

The petition is to "Drastically reduce the time taken to re-open a motorway"..... and a proposal that barriers, similar to railway crossings, be installed on all Entry slip roads, so that they can be lowered by "motorway control centre" to stop further traffic joining and reducing the traffic backing up, due to the motorway being closed.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

This petition wants your name, Email addy, Address, Town, Etc.. Not happy with giving away that much detail.
Community Veteran

All government e-petitions require this information.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Presumably you are all happy to sit on a motorway for hours on end  because despite 133 view, only 2 people have signed the petition ...

Shutter don't take it personally, remember I had the idea to cause havoc at the pump? - No-one wanted to give that a try either.. despite the fact it could cause major agro for the fuel companies. Motorway jams will always be moaned about but no-one will ever bother to do anything about it because no-one really believes they can do anything these days. Unlike the french we're useless at making ourselves heard and thats why we keep getting stitched up by one government after another.
Quote from: geofftswin
The future is to "undo" the damage that Ernest Marples caused to our rail network though; however once again it will be tricky as lots of the land is now being used as housing developments etc.

Don't you mean Dr Beeching? - It was his reports (known as the Beeching axe) which ultimately were the root cause of our railway destruction. Like you I don't understand the mentality of it either. If they wanted to save money then sure, shut down train services, stop maintaining railway lines but don't bl**dy go ripping up the lines and selling it off as scrap and land. It's infrastructure... and a functioning country needs infrastructure. In my mind destroying things that this country will need in the future is the same as treason. If the stuff had been left in place we could have still made use of it as and when needed but at a reduced cost. I agree theres no point running passenger services when they're not being used but those lines could still be moving freight around, saving little kids getting hit by lorries in their villages etc. The problem now is we're in such a state that cuts lead to more debt and more spending = more debt. We've (by that I mean our leaders) screwed ourselves.
Quote from: Steve
This petition wants your name, Email addy, Address, Town, Etc.. Not happy with giving away that much detail.

Ditto. I've seen lots of petitions I agree with but I'm not volunteering my information to those 'good' people in Westminster.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: okrzynska

Ditto. I've seen lots of petitions I agree with but I'm not volunteering my information to those 'good' people in Westminster.
For this reason I fear that not many people will want to sign It shutter? Why not talk to your local MP about your concerns, Wait until voting time of course. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you petition doesnt say motorway control centre to lower barrier, it says police and they are completely separate entities
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska

Quote from: geofftswin

Don't you mean Dr Beeching? - It was his reports (known as the Beeching axe) which ultimately were the root cause of our railway destruction. Like you I don't understand the mentality of it either.

No - I definitely mean Ernest Marples.  He was the one who employed Beeching and gave guidelines as to which week to survey rail traffic (i.e. 1 week when traffic would be reduced).  If anybody else had done the same job at the time; due to Marples' guidelines they would likely have come up with the same result.  It is just because he made Beeching put his name on the report that Beeching is more commonly associated with the closure programme.
Community Veteran

Don`t take this personally, either.......
that is a pathetic excuse ..... THEY already have that info..... CENSUS ..... TV LICENCE...... DVLA..... NHS..... HMRC ... DWP.... to name just a few.... Even your local newsagent (if you have papers delivered) has tht info.... and how about your BANK .... DOCTOR... milkman.... ?
so adding the same info that is "freely available"..... to a government petition should not be a problem to anyone....
Community Veteran

You are right Shutter and as I said earlier without providing this information it will prevent you from signing any e-petition. One reason is to prevent idiots making multiple votes.
Community Veteran

Yes shutter, they already have that info but its not information that is 'actively' looked at. You put your name and address down on a petition these days and you can be pretty sure someone somewhere will be looking into your private life.
Not only that, a friend of mine keeps getting literature from a party he keeps voting for. He's never told them he supports them but votes for them anonymously. Strangely though he keeps getting "Thanks for your continued support" letters from that party and he's openly said he finds this disturbing because his votes are obviously being recorded somewhere even though you're supposed to have the right to vote anonymously.
Seriously, who wants to make an enemy of the state?