Please sign e-petition: Scrap Plans to Monitor all Emails and Web Usage

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Please sign e-petition: Scrap Plans to Monitor all Emails and Web Usage

Hi All
Please sign the e-petition: Scrap Plans to Monitor all Emails and Web Usage
Responsible department: Home Office
Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.
The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism. They have no right to attack our privacy, if the legislation goes through, Britain will be no different from regimes it criticises such as China and Iran.
It would enable intelligence officers to identify who an individual or group is in contact with, how often and for how long. They would also be able to see which websites someone had visited.
Government should scrap plans immediately.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Please sign e-petition: Scrap Plans to Monitor all Emails and Web Usage

Technically no it won't make it as bad as china. They have a firewall which just blocks many websites. Monitoring is different - it just a monitor not a blocking firewall.
To be honest, they've already decided they want to snoop on us anyway and they're not going to listen to any of us. Any real crooks will use encryption or just send USB dongles to each other via the post so this was never about crime and terrorism but just having the ability to spy on people.
With that said, when the London riots took place, many of the people responsible looked impossible to identify yet our police intelligence being amongst the best in the world identified and prosecuted at least a thousand of them. Thats quite an impressive record considering the sheer scale of the task and the difficulties of identifying people with balaclavas etc.
To be honest, I ain't worried about them identifying who I am in contact with since I have no dodgy contacts BUT lets face it, these days for most people all they need to do is examine their facebook anyway. The number of people I know who facebook have connected me up with is shocking. I'm always getting emails telling me to join and see someone I know - my old boss, relatives, old colleagues etc. Clearly there is a massive amount of data collating going on there already yet few people have an issue with that because it's a private company who just do what they want with your data anyway with little or no regard for its users. At least the government give you warning about it.
The day that they give themselves the right to hack into your PC and nose around your hard drive will be the day I reconsider my options and what machines I connect to the internet. I remember that one coming up a few years back but it didn't come in to force but I suspect it will come back again at some point. When that happens, you've no idea what could mysteriously be planted on your system and then used as evidence against you to incriminate you. After hearing about all this Plebgate stuff and the accusations against the police trying to frame Andrew Mitchell (who I don't like anyway) it seems quite obvious that nothing is below the police these days.
If you're really paranoid, buy a second hand 3G dongle / MiFi thing, used 3G sim card and buy your credit with cash while wearing a cap so that CCTV can't identify you easily. Only use that dongle with a second hand machine so that any MAC addresses or hard drive / motherboard serial numbers that may be harvested aren't registered directly to you.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I am not really paranoid, if I was I would not be on Facebook, the police, MI5, FBI, CIA to name some who have a back door to Facebook.
Community Veteran

There's nothing wrong in storing emails and IMs to allow retrieval by the security services, it just needs a minor tweek to ensure that any such access is authorised by an independent judge, with him/her having viewed relevant evidence, with a clear audit trail of each access.
I'd add that this policing action should be funded by the police and security services and not just tagged on to the ISPs as yet another stealth tax. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
kmilburn
Grafter

So,  would you also please forward copies of all mail you receive,  and while you're at it,  can you start recording every conversation you have and provide them to us too...  we promise we won't do anything with them unless we believe you are a criminal*.
*we reserve the right to change the rules whenever we like,  do data mining if we so care.  Any information you provide can and will be used against you if we deem it necessary!
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

i dont as ive nothing to hide
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

I have nothing to hide either (though I suspect someone in this place would like to cover their shopping tracks lol).
That said, as kmilburn says they will find ever more creative ways of using this data and abusing it. Eventually the arguement of being allowed to hack into your computer will come up again and at that point I think I'll call it a day for the internet - especially when banks are saying that your PC must be secure for them to refund on online fraud etc.
Community Veteran

Slightly off topic:- Do you hide your location?
There appears to be a growing tendency to ‘edit’ the location where photogrpahs have been taken.
As an example with Mobile phone photography where the mobile phone is GPS enabled. By using something like Irfanview>image>properties>Exif info>show in google earth. It is pretty easy to establish whereabouts the photograph was taken (look at all the mobile phone photographs on facebook).
I received an image of a golden eagles nest recently, obviously check the location, to find it had been edited to reveal the location it has been taken as Wormwood Scrubs.
Community Veteran

I don't upload photos to the web and if I do they've usually been resized and had the data stripped  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have had a few e-mails that were clearly not intended for me, possibly happened due to a typing error in the address. There was nothing dodgy about these e-mails so no problem but let us assume there was something in a dodgy e-mail that attracted the attention of the authorities, a protest group for example that had been causing trouble.
This could lead to an assumption you were a member of such a group and end up getting on some security file.
Think this can't happen well think about Hillsborough and the amount that was covered up or the more recent case of Austin Mitchell or the numerous cases of innocent people being chased by bailiff's  due to some error in the paperwork for money owed by someone else.
Far to much information is held by the government and other organizations on individuals although I doubt there is much we can do about it.
six months ago my wife had an outpatient appointment and they went through the usual stuff of home address, doctor, date of birth etc but when it came to the next of kin some blokes name and telephone number were on her notes and the receptionist said it must have been amended in error and corrected it, we both had a good laugh about it later but assume my wife had been in hospital and they needed to contact me urgently ? Might not have been so funny then !