Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please read, I feel this important.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Please read, I feel this important.

Hi Guys,
I'm breaking my PN forum silence over this issue as I am concerned about my fellow internetters health.
HEVL - High Energy Visible Light - also known as HEV Light.
I just found a story on the daily mail about this and frankly, having been suffering some symptoms myself and living in denial, I wanted to bring this to everyones attention. Apparently its smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer and even TV screens that are outputting this stuff directly on your eyes and face. I got a new phone recently and love it to bits but i noticed within two days that it was really making my eyes sore and difficult to use. Like half the population these days I also have dark rings round my eyes - whenever I mention this to my GP or any other health professional they put it down to lack of sleep (which I get plenty of).
It's stronger than UV light or sunlight.
So please read this and consider cutting down your time in front of these LCD, plasma and LCD screens. It's isn't doing any of us any good. The thyroid is also sensitive to radiation... and I have recently had a lump discovered inside mine.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3493093/Is-selfie-prematurely-ageing-you.html
Please guys, don't dismiss this too quickly, many of you will have children that you also need to consider protecting. The raspberry pi is only going to encourage use of computer monitors too so where possible I'd suggest we try to steer the youngsters towards programming them for use in hardware devices - so that they learn to deal with the electronics side and not stare at computer screens for hours on end.
If you still want to dismiss it, remember this: In the early 1900s, people said smoking was good for you, it did noo harm, damage etc. Now look at the consequences that has had.
7up.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Please read, I feel this important.

Daily Mail = Classic scaremongering
article designed to panic the vulnerable and gullible.
Community Veteran

Did you read it or look at the photos?
I have a lump in my thyroid. I also have the dark eyes. I don't call it scaremongering at all.
A good friend of mine is also addicted to his computers... also has the dark eyes.
Community Veteran

if your lump and eyes have been cause by this then it should be easy for you to reverse it by refraining from using any such devices.
have you done that?
i will pay attention to published medical journals from respected sources.
the daily mail does not fall into that category.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've heard that an effective filter can reduce eyestrain caused by computers.  Shocked  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
if your lump and eyes have been cause by this then it should be easy for you to reverse it by refraining from using any such devices.
have you done that?

I have cut down my usage yes.
Do you have any medical journals that say this sort of damage is reversible?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Try avoiding the Daily Mail.
It's one of the worst offenders (well its very offensive anyway).

Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

that's something you should be discussing with your doctor.
of course, it could be total baloney that your issues have been cause by looking at a mobile device.
it could be that your, self confessed, paranoia is somewhat clouding your grasp of reality - again see your doctor.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm... where do I start....
OK... so I am in front of my laptop for about 12 to 14 hours PER DAY... and I have been for the past 5 years at least... ( prior to that, not so much.. ) About 3 years ago, I decided that I "might" need some special glasses for use with the laptop, as my 3 section varifocals required me to have my head back, to be able to read text on the screen in the lower section, this caused me to have a "pain in the neck" which, after having the optician set up some glasses specifically for the distance I sat from the screen, has disappeared,..
. Also.. my eyes are not tired during the day, only very late at night... getting towards 11 pm,  I usually close the laptop at midnight...
  I do not think this "eye strain" is caused by the laptop,... more likely cause is that I am very tired... having only short periods of sleep during the night... 2 hours is a long time ! !! .. when sleep is  broken it takes me at least 30 mins to drop off again... so you can imagine that getting up at 7.30 am EVERY DAY will also add to the "tired eyes" at 11 pm ...
I am 3 score years and 10 +.....
During my life, many people have said to me.... oh you shouldn`t eat that...because it is bad for your health.... or you should eat this, because it is good for your health.. you should do more exercise because it keeps you fit,.................. but I don`t like, or do, exercise... I never have.... Physical training in the RN and other "physical activities" like going to the gym or pointless running around the streets etc... not for me..
I drink about 2 ltrs of tea per day... and each mugfull has two heaped spoons of sugar in it....  I eat about 6 slices of bread a day. with low fat marg ( cos the missus banned butter )... .( almost half a loaf )...  I would eat any cakes or biscuits in sight ( but my missus doesn`t buy them often, because of that ! ! !)...
I used to eat a lot of fatty foods when young... Pork Pies, chips, meat pies, and Cheese , amongst the most in quantities... also eat white bread,  very little in the way of fresh veg.( only on Sunday at the pub carvery).... (. although I do like a salad now and again, in the summer...  I smoked 20 to 30 fags a day, until I was 45 years old,   started when I was 15  in the Navy...  took me 3 years to give up, gradually reducing on a weekly basis...
My heart is in good condition... my lungs too... I hardly ever had to go to the doc for ailments... rarely suffered more than a mild  flu ... got good skin... and my weight is only 3 stone heavier than when I joined the Navy at age 15.25 ....  I am able to go up and down the stairs, without using the handrail for support, or to pull me up... I walk upright without the use of a walking stick, or frame. and when I need to, I walk fairly briskly.... "marching speed" my missus calls it....!....  
The only medication I take on a regular basis is Simvastatin.... which the doc prescribed for me, out of the blue... I can`t remember having any blood test for it...  and I don`t take them "religiously".. only if I remember  ! ! ..

My wife, believes in all this "low fat" and "low salt"  and "low sugar"   and tries to eat "healthy foods" like bio yoghurts and stuff...  but... she has a history of heart problems... is overweight, and often has to go to the docs for some ailment.  she finds it very difficult to understand my "lifestyle"  compared to hers, and how I  "get away with it",...when she suffers so much..
So... should I really take any notice of what the daily mail says ? ? ?      I haven`t bothered with others
Community Veteran

Of course some things are well known like it's far more relaxing using an e-ink reader than an LCD one.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Shutter,
Lucky you mentioned your wife otherwise based on that description of yourself you would be getting a number of proposals from the Ladies.
Smiley Smiley
@7up,
Welcome back, you will recall that the old type of monitors were well known for giving people eye strain and headaces due to the refresh rate, modern LCD monitors are different in the sense we are looking at pixels, the speed or rate those pixels change may well cause some people eye problems but it's the percentage of people that it effects is the most important thing.
The greater the exposure to a specific thing for some people the greater the risk, every chance I get when the weather is ok I get out for the day and never use any type of sunscreen yet I am not aware I have skin cancer yet someone else who rarely goes out might end up with it.
In short everything in life is a risk, you have a greater chance of having a heart attack in the early hours of the morning than at any other time but what choice do you have we all need to sleep.
Try looking at things from a different viewpoint, instead of saying this or that may happen why not say, sod it I will die one day but between now and then I am going to have a good time, remember if you are constantly worried and depressed I can say for certain that this will be picked up by your child or children who may end up worried and depressed themselves, that is the greatest danger you face and may not be aware of it.
Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles
@Shutter,
Lucky you mentioned your wife otherwise based on that description of yourself you would be getting a number of proposals from the Ladies.
Smiley Smiley

Dang !... I knew I would do something wrong  ! ! !...

As for sunblocker..... un heard of in the 60`s and 70`s .... Used to spend a lot of my "off-watch" time, at sea, sunbathing  on the bridge roof....  ( our "part of ship" for recreation).  and also when out in Mauritius, I would spend the two days "off watch" on the beach, all day long...  no ill effects from skin cancer... !  (probably too much duty free alcohol in the blood ! ! )...  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

I don't know what all the fuss is about...
We'll all die sometime and our skin will age as we go along so let's just enjoy the journey as much as we can without all this scaremongering Wink
Remember that diet and stress can also play a part on how well or not we age.
I have been sitting in front of a computer monitor for over 30 years and, in the last 12-15 years, for as much time as shutter. I am 56 yet people say I look as if I am in my late 30's Cool
Some people may be more prone to 'modern life' affecting them than others. Moderation may be the key but while I am travelling to my GP about some latest fad/worry I may get hit by a bus.
Live life to the full - where possible!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If we leave the EU we will all die.
However, for your own personal life, it's best to avoid risks to your health as the departure process can be long drawn out and painful.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: 7up
I have cut down my usage yes.

have you been to Specsavers or similar and had an eye examination or investigated the possibility of anti glare coated glasses specifically for use with VDU's ?
I ask because the eye strain side of things can be caused by glare from the screen in certain light spectrums (more so with cheaper screens than the high end ones) the rest of the eye based symptoms you  describe sound rather like the symptoms of vitamin deficiency, and that's common for people who don't spend enough time outside in daylight ..... perhaps then you should just leave the gadgets alone for a few hours and sit in front of the window soaking up the sun ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you