Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Read: This may become nationwide

Steve
Pro

Please Read: This may become nationwide

Just read this In my local paper.
Published on Tuesday 10 July 2012 11:55
LOCAL people are being urged to be aware of a ‘phone scam which has been reported to Angus Council’s trading standards service.
Consumers are receiving calls claiming they are entitled to a refund on services such as electricity, gas, water bills, phone bills or bank charges.
The caller has a foreign accent and claims to be from a bank or the government.
In the cases reported, the caller knew the consumer’s name and address as well as their ‘phone number.
In at least one case, they also quoted the first few numbers of the consumer’s bank account.
The callers are extremely persistent and usually ask the consumer for a date of birth and bank account details so that a cheque can be sent.
These calls are all coming from an Arbroath telephone number, however trading standards officers point out that UK based landline numbers can easily be purchased by anyone, anywhere, and used to mask the true origin of the call.
The advice from trading standards is:
* Never simply trust that a call from a UK or locally-based phone number, actually originates from this area.
* Never give out personal details especially bank account, credit card or debit card details.
If in doubt and for more information contact the council’s trading standards service on 01241 435600.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Please Read: This may become nationwide

I wouldn't trust it as soon as I heard the wording about being due a refund.
Energy companies never give refunds. They just credit your account and refuse to give you back your own money  Angry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

You don't need to know someone's date of birth or bank account details to send them a cheque in the post.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Whilst most of us on this forum are "savvy" to this kind of scam, I feel that the OP posted with the intention of forum members being of a mind, to pass the information and warning on, to those who they know might just fall victim of this kind of approach on the telephone.  I am thinking in particular of, (say) your old aunt or uncle, mother or father,  ( or all of the aforementioned ) who lives alone, only watches BBC news and goes to bed early. when the phone rings the next day, they are over the moon because someone has actually contacted them, and they would be only too willing to "co-operate" with the caller, especially if a "refund" was mentioned.
so come on, guys... give the OP some credit for thinking of others.
Thanks.  Wink
BryanP
Grafter

Really good post
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've not been getting phone calls (and if I had I would probably have either not been in, or looked at the CLID and ignored them), but I have been getting spam texts in the last few days.
Apparently I'm owed £2612.84 for an accident I haven't had, and my week got even better when I received a further one informing me I am due £1983.67 for being mis-sold PPI, which I hadn't bought.
I was actually reading about it (City AM I think), where they spam people whether they have a valid case or don't (as in my case) and it some cases demand an upfront fee of 20%, plus VAT on that.
So you pay 24% of the fictitious amount and end up with nothing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
so come on, guys... give the OP some credit for thinking of others.

I think you've misunderstood my post (if you were referring to me). I wasn't slating Steve for posting, I was simply putting my view forward that any legitimate company wouldn't ring you up telling you that they owe you money.
As for relatives that I could warn, I have none. They're all gone.  Cry
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!