Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pleas Help Me To Save Lives

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Pleas Help Me To Save Lives

Hi All
Pleas help me to save lives by sining the petition at: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/firesprinklers/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make it a legal requirement for all flats to have Fire Sprinklers installed, to prevent disasters like the one in Camberwell South London on 5/07/2009, it is a legal requirement in a number of countries such as the USA for flats to have Fire Sprinklers installed.
It should be a legal requirement for all flats to have:

• Fire Alarm System

• Fire Doors

• Fire Escape

• Fire Sprinklers

• Emergency Lighting

With this lives would be saved.

2 new banners Pleas feel Free to use them.

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pleas Help Me To Save Lives

Gary, individual flats in the US do not have to have a sprinkler system.  They do have to have a smoke detector. Sprinklers are fitted in communal areas.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

It is the communal areas that I want to have Fire Sprinklers. 
By the way awre bin room has been on Fire 3 times, on the Estate total number of time the bin rooms have been on Fire is 16 times.  Plus 5 flats have been on Fire in the Estate, one made the news.  The bin rooms are in the flats on the Ground Floor of the bloks, this blok has 6 Floors in clouding Ground Floor, it is the biggest blok on the Estate with 37 flats in it.
Community Veteran

These facilities are certainly an advantage but are you and all the other owners prepared to pay the cost of the work? 
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I rather pay for the work, van pay with my life.
Community Veteran

That's a commendable attitude Gary but to get work done you generally have to have agreement of all the owners and that's not as easy as it seems.  I wish you luck.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

The question is what price do you put on some ones life, it should be a legal requirement for all flats to have Fire Sprinklers, it doesn't matter that this will cost: Councils, Private Landlords, Housing Associations a lot of money, if the USA can do it we can do it!
How many people would have been saved on 5/07/2009 with having a Fire Sprinkler in the flats, I would say all of them would be saved.
Fire Sprinklers can and do put out Fires 90% of the time!
So Pleas Sine The Petition and Help To Save Lives!
itsme
Grafter

So you have people setting fire to the bins. You then fit sprinklers in communal areas and guess what will happen next? They now set the sprinklers off?
Community Veteran

very commendable - but as Artmo says - who would pay for retro fitting.
I'm sure it would be good if some government scheme could help funding - like grants for insulation.
Certainy I agree it should be mandatory for new builds and conversions of existing properties into flats.
I also agree with itsme that there will be some elements of abuse - but we have that with fire extinguishers being set off too - just something we have to live with I guess.

Community Veteran

itsme has a good point.  I'm afraid this is a no-win situation.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
very commendable - but as Artmo says - who would pay for retro fitting.

The owner of the building would pay.
I'm sure it would be good if some government scheme could help funding - like grants for insulation.

Yes it would be good.
Certainy I agree it should be mandatory for new builds and conversions of existing properties into flats.

It needs to be mandatory for all flats, not just new builds and conversions, conversions are more likely to kill van a block of flats in a Fire.
I also agree with itsme that there will be some elements of abuse - but we have that with fire extinguishers being set off too - just something we have to live with I guess.

Yes that is just something we have to live with, just like we have to live with Fire Alarm System going off, but no one says don't have a Fire Alarm System.
Community Veteran

The owner of the building would pay.

He would then pass this on to the tenants/owners as part of a service charge.  it's the only way he can recoup his cost. He certainly won't do it for nothing.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

The owner of this building does that already, and so thay should pass on the cost.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You would need inspectors to enforce this.
On new build, it can be part of the building inspection.

Community Veteran

Rebuilding also needs planning permission & building regulation - I would have thought, and if not it could be made so in the legislation I would have thought.
As for existing buildings - there would need to be a period to allow work to be done retrospectively over a reasonable period ?