cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playstation Data Theft

Fixes: 121

Playstation Data Theft

PlayStation data theft hits 70m gamers
The company said that the data might have fallen into the hands of an "unauthorised person" following a hacking attack on its online service.

Sony admitted that credit card information, used to purchase games, films and music, may also have been stolen.
"While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility," Mr Caplin said.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Playstation Data Theft

I think this is the 3rd thread on the subject http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95364.0/topicseen.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Well if you got enough money to afford a playstation yet alone a subscription to their services then presumably you got enough money and sense to protect yourself too.
Never been able to afford a console yet alone subscribe to any gaming etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
James
Grafter

I think (might be wrong, I've got an XBOX) that access to PSN if free of charge.
The fact that people can afford a Playstation doesn't mean that they have protected themselves against potential fraud.
Community Veteran

Free? So what were sony doing 'looking after' their customers credit card details then?
People who play games are supposed to be good puzzle solvers. Puzzle solvers are supposed to be intelligent. Intelligent people foresee these things and have strategies - ie different cards, accounts, limited funds on the card etc. There are almost no funds available on my card until i need them and at that point i login online and transfer them over to the account so i can use the card. IE if anyone tries my card most days there is nothing available to them.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: okrzynska
Free? So what were sony doing 'looking after' their customers credit card details then?
Probably for buying points ( PSN ) currency for downloadable games, Game Add-ons etc.
Fixes: 101

Quote from: okrzynska
Well if you got enough money to afford a playstation yet alone a subscription to their services then presumably you got enough money and sense to protect yourself too.
Never been able to afford a console yet alone subscribe to any gaming etc.

Thanks for your sympathy okrzynska, you bleat often enough about your misfortune but here you are revelling in others because you perceive them to have money? Grow up.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not that I'm cynical, but,
The media in general are forgetting how Sony went after the people who hacked the PS3 months ago. So were they deliberately targeted, or was it opportunistic?
Who can tell - the figures are shocking, PSN has been down for nearly a week, and they've only just come out with this potential theft. Doesn't sound like it was carried out by a bunch of amateurs.
I had my details, plus my CC info on there Undecided
matt_2k34
Grafter

you bleat often enough about your misfortune but here you are revelling in others because you perceive them to have money? Grow up.

Bingo.

Doesnt matter what YOU do though does it.
This is the second company i use in the last 6 months who have had a major breach. (the other being Lush)
Other than being anal, and only leaving the money that i require in my account as i spend it - how else do you expect me to protect myself?
And no, im not doing that. I'm not wasting 5 minutes logging into my bank, moving the correct amount, then making a payment.
Clearly you have nothing better to do with your time.
I do believe it was my last card on PSN though, (the one that got cancelled when Lush cocked up)
Regards
Fixes: 47

I had card details stored on PSN until my grandson 'accidentally bought' a driving game on-line Roll eyes
I removed my card details last year but suspect that wouldn't have helped here as they probably still have them stored on their servers. Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

No you have me wrong. I am not revelling in anything and I DO have other things to do but thanks to the numerous ***** in life who have stitched me up time after time i've had to become inventive about how i do things because i'm the only person who will look out for me. No-one else, just me.
I apologise if i've offended anyone in this thread but the end point is this: If you have a credit card, you are protected by law. If you have a debit card you can control how little you make available on it (open another account with/without a card and put funds there so they're safe from your main card OR use that new card as your honeypot). There are ways and means to protect yourself and as i tried to suggest in my first post, people who have money are usually very good at protecting themselves against others taking it.
If you guys are that worried call your financial institution and tell them you accidentally flushed the card down the toilet, lost, etc. No cancellation charge, no questions, card cancelled instantly. I've done it enough times and frankly after we had a cloned card years ago it's a technique we've had to use several times after card details being potentially compromised.
Some good tips there. No need to get paranoid and start moaning about sony. In this life you have to look out for your finances because there will always be someone out there trying to deduct them from you so you need to be prepared to act quickly when something like this happens.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Read your OP.
basically stating that anyone who can afford a PS3 can afford to "look after themselves"..
Stop taking the blame away from sony. They have a corporate responsibility to look after the data that you give them (you know, that act, the EU made us enforce.. something about protecting data...)
The fact they failed, i'd expect them to get hit with a hefty fine - and i wouldnt worry about it happening again if thats the case.. they might actually get someone who is up to the job of securing that much data.
Why should millions of people go through the inconvenience of getting a new card, just because of a corporations incompetance and complacency ?
No need to get paranoid and start moaning about sony

Read above
need to be prepared to act quickly when something like this happens.

You mean like waiting nearly 6 days before telling people what had happened? Corporate lies and PR cover up. If they had come clean as soon as PSN was down - i'd have a lot more respect for them. 5 days is along time for someone to havee a list of personal information. It may have been sold on several times by now...  Undecided
Someone shall swing for this Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm not going to go out of my way to defend sony as i do mostly agree with you but think of it like this:
It can take a while to establish what has happened on any computer system. They may of initially thought they had a software error. Computer forensics isn't a straight forward thing with hack attacks. You can't just go into your temporary internet files and find an attack log  Roll eyes
Next, Sony have undoubtedly had peoples card details for years and never had a breach like this. The fact that they held out this long is a good thing as i would imagine a company like sony are probably attacked routinely on a daily basis. With that in mind its only a matter of time before someone actually gets in. I would be surprised if sony had card details that were stored unencrypted. Presuming they're encrypted, they would presumably use salt too so that rainbow attacks can't be carried out on stolen copies of the data. Sony aren't just software experts, they're hardware experts too. I'd suspect they've got some very complex systems for protecting the data itself.
I'm not saying millions of people should go about getting new cards. I'm just suggesting the people here do as you all seem quite concerned. Everyone knows the risks of using a credit/debit card, someone only needs to get hold of the numbers on it and they can use it. It's why i never trust my card and keep funds elsewhere. Yes it can be a pain but i do it in the knowledge that i won't find myself unable to survive for the rest of the month thanks to a fraudster abusing my financial details - a bad experience from years ago.
All i'm saying is you need to be street wise these days because its a nasty world out there.
Oh and for the record i'm not the only one to do a lot of bleating on this forum. I know what its like to have card details not only stolen but used. It's awful especially when you're already in the red and they empty the overdraft just days after pay day. Use multiple accounts so you at least have some protection / money.
Community Veteran

Good news,
The first legal proceedings against sony have been initiated. Some of you might like to consider it too. Linky