cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Charity Bags

fceluk
Grafter

Plastic Charity Bags

Before we start let me make it clear it's the bags that are plastic not the charities..........................oh I don't know though Roll eyes
I've just arrived home and there is yet another plastic bag on the doorstep from a charity asking for old clothes etc.
Usually I don't have anything to put in so I leave the bag on the doorstep to be collected the following Tuesday.
Without fail they are not collected so I bin them.
I would have thought that these charities need all the money they can get especially these days so how can they afford to distribute thousands of these bags around the country.
Also it's not exactly environmentally friendly.
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Plastic Charity Bags

We tend to use the bags for rubbish but as you say, they are not exactly environmentally friendly. I often wonder about these charities because I heard a programme on Radio 4 about a company which deals with them and it is apparently quite profitable (the company, that is).
Made me wonder how much of it does actually go to the charity in question.
Fixes: 47

Sadly this is my concern Poppy. I'm sure deserving charities could be losing out because of this attitude of suspicion.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

Some weeks I have 2 bags pushed through letterbox plus a paper - all saying they will collect on certain days.  They always leave the empty plastic bags behind  - because how can anyone these days have that much stuff to get rid of to charity in one week! 
It is absolutely stupid.  I just ignore them and take stuff direct to Barnardos or similar!
Community Veteran

I'm often doubtful about how "charitable" some of these are. Check the information with/on the bags as to who is doing it.  Roll eyes
geewizz
Grafter

There's a hostel for homeless charity bags in Hartlepool. I send all my bags there, carrier bags, paper bags, baw bags etc.
gswindale
Grafter

I have a bag full of jigsaws etc awaiting collection from about 3 weeks ago now.  We put it out 1st thing (7am) and got it in at 10pm on the day they were supposed to collect.  Would anybody like the contents?
Community Veteran

Read any literature that comes with these bags... Some of the companies collecting them are actually commercial and take a sizeable chunk of the money raised by selling on the cloths that are donated. You have no say in how much is actually donated.
If you do have cloths / books etc to donate I would recommend taking them to a local charity shop where you know they will get the full amount of any monies collected when the items are sold.
As for the plastic bags, I too am frustrated by how many and how often I get home and find a bag on the mat. Like others they are never collected so just go in the bin now. What I have noticed is now they very rarely say leave any unused bags out suggesting it is now common practice to not pick them up again.
If this practice is to continue, they should at least use bio-degradable bags.
Community Veteran

We have had several charity shops locally who are not a charity but frauds see
http://www.crewetown.co.uk/oldstory.htm
These shops put charity shop in the window but are not so all the money goes to a residents Association who is run by one person and no one ever see the books. It may be coincidence but this person has moved into a posh new house from a council house. This is the 3 rd one in our area so if you do go to a shop to give goods ask for the charity number. Many of the charity shops employ a full time manager and pay volunteers traveling expenses which are a lot of money.
Its sad that money for charity is siphoned off  in one form or another to other sources. A lot volunteer for the shop work and they pick out the best stuff before it can go on sale.
One of the worse things we find is the local council tip if you go an throw your computer away on the skip you can bet it will be on the car boot for sale next week as people are now allowed to take the rubbish and sell it. One makes a £1000 a week selling stuff from the tip you are amazed what people throw away
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Even if the people who leave the plastic bags are above board often the bags are pinched before they are collected.  Much better to take goods to a reputable charity shop.
Javert
Grafter

The Guardian had an article last year "The great charity collection scam".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/aug/18/moneysupplement.voluntarysector
Community Veteran

Quote from: samuria
One of the worse things we find is the local council tip

1. There are big signs at our local tip saying it is illegal to remove waste.
2. In our area there is a thriving Freecycle movement http://www.freecycle.org/
community
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
2. In our area there is a thriving Freecycle movement http://www.freecycle.org/

I first came across this organisation only a week ago.
It was as a result of reading a mail on an american forum!
When I looked at the main website for Freecycle, I found that there are thriving Freecycle  organisations all over the world!
Community Veteran

I quite often take old clothes (that still have life in them) down to the local Air Ambulance clothing bin. Failing that, it's the British Heart Foundation... we leave nothing on the doorstep these days, as has been previously mentioned, some of these companies are collection companies that sell on what they collect, so we avoid them like the plague.
We do use the bags that they so kindly leave us for other charities.. just turn them inside out and leave with their original bag if you have enough stuff!
reserved
Grafter

Quote from: rogerloxton
We do use the bags that they so kindly leave us for other charities.. just turn them inside out and leave with their original bag if you have enough stuff!

I do the same or just put the bags in a "plastic bag" recycling container.