Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastic Bags and the 5p charge

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Plastic Bags and the 5p charge

A 5p charge for plastic bags in England is to be introduced by the government in a bid to discourage their use.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24088523

It's been talked about for a while, and has already been introduced by some shops, and parts of the UK.
Personally, I find many uses for the plastic bags, from small bin liners, to Bunny Sawdust disposal.
I do keep sturdy bags in the boots of the cars, so when shopping, they are readily available.
However, I did also keep some Tesco standard ones, which after a few months (away from daylight) had disintegrated.
My local Co-op tried using smaller bags, but after a fortnight, customer feedback led to their removal.
I don't understand why the American paper bags you see in film, TV Series etc, don't have handles.
And I'm sure I've read somewhere that paper bags are nearly as environmentally unfriendly in their production as the standard plastic ones.

34 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Plastic Bags and the 5p charge

The charge, which will only apply to supermarkets and larger stores,
will begin after the 2015 election, with the proceeds going to charities.

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So, if I want the supermarkets to deliver my shopping and want them to use my 're-usable' bags, will they come and pick them up first?  Cheesy
(And I do love the 'after the next election' comment. In other words, let everyone get annoyed about this when the new party is in power so they get the flack. Typical Tories.)
shalom2010
Grafter

We've been using the Tesco 'Bag For Life' bags for many years. Still have the original ones bought at least 5 years ago. When in shops however, some shop assistants seem to get rather
annoyed when I say 'I have my own bag' - I think they want their logo on the bag Smiley
itsme
Grafter

So what about shops like M&S, Next Debenhams et al where you are out doing a bit of window shopping then see shirts, socks, pants etc and decide to buy will you still be charged for a bag?
Community Veteran

And you say if you're not giving me a bag I'll spend my £50 quid elsewhere.
I can just see that suddenly the price will include a free bag.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The bags are not free, merely included in the weekly bill.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Exactly and have done it a few years back when one supermarket unilaterally introduced bag charges.
Fixes: 125

It wouldn't be so bad if the bags become more robust and multi-reusable. I'd rather the bags be generic than branded - why should we pay to advertise on behalf of the supermarkets?
According to BBC news the 5p will go to environment charities although the supermarkets will be able to take some for administrative charges. So that's a zero to the charities, then Undecided
Surely tackling the problem by prosecuting/fining those that are caught discarding their bags inappropriately would go a long way to reducing the problem.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
Personally, I find many uses for the plastic bags, from small bin liners, to Bunny Sawdust disposal.

Same here, ours always come to a useful end. Typically replacing a container that we would have had to otherwise buy.
Fixes: 47

with the proceeds going to charities.

So there's a tiny proportion of the shopping bill for the bags which makes a contribution to charity.....that's going to stop people using plastic carrier bagsHuh
For my weekly/fortnightly grocery shopping I use my own bags and have done for years.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
CX
Grafter

I fail to see how this solves anything, other than paying the salaries of "charity" management teams.
We have reusable bags which we usually use for the weekly shopping, but every so often we will get a "disposable" plastic bag, usually in a variety of sizes. This bag doesn't then get stuffed in the bin in a big bundle, or discarded in a country lane hedgerow; it gets reused for waste cat litter, or as a general bin liner in the kitchen. If we don't have these (or have to pay a stupid amount), then we will just end up buying more rolls of bin liners in bulk. Are these going to be taxed too? Then what do we do - just put stuff straight into the bin, without bags or liners, and then have to use chemicals to clean the bin every week. That sure sounds much more environmentally friendly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

and continuing that point,  it annoys me that we are instructed to clean our recycled items before placing them in the recycling boxes.
It's can't be environmentally friendly for individual consumers to use vast amounts of (usually hot) water to wash their rubbish.
If the recyclers need it clean, why can't THEY be forced to do the washing ?
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

My local Tesco always used to have cardboard boxes by the tills.
Then they disappeared, I was told because they were a potential Fire Hazard.
However,  a month or so later they re-appeared.
But fewer in quantity, at any one time.
Very useful for transporting many items home.
And they get a second use, either as Netherland Dwarf Bunny Playhouses, with cut out Windows & Doors, and the larger ones opened up, and used as a carpet protector, by exterior doors, especially in the Winter Months, or any wet months !
Community Veteran

Yes in shops like Lidl and Aldi's which don't supply free bags I always pick up a box, as I shop, to carry my items in.
And just like the plastic bags which get used to line my peddle bin, the boxes go at the bottom of my wheely bin to help keep that clean.