cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to Migrate to Linux? BEWARE!!!

Steve
Pro

Planning to Migrate to Linux? BEWARE!!!

"Dear Windows user, before you migrate to Linux, make sure you understand some of the side-effects that may come after you take your experimental Linux pill:
    "1. Your computer may become dull or stop working: Windows is a happy, efficient world where computers respond promptly and just work. They work and work even when you don't know. They work as zombies and botnets, sending spam mail (in the best of the cases) for some hacker out there who rightfully earned control over them. Just last year, there was an estimate of twelve million zombies. That is four times the whole population of a small country like mine. Imagine! A whole country made of zombies!!! That is a happy country! Windows is a happy world in which you (if you're a hacker) command and computers react. They react promptly to Trojans, worms and malware of all forms under the sun. If you install Linux and use it as your main OS, your computer may stop reacting to the Trojans, worms and malware that took cyber-criminals a lot of time and effort to design. Of course, if you engage into irresponsible security behavior, your PC may still be responsive to them, but not as it was with Windows. Are you sure you want a dull computer like that? Who wants a computer that fails to respond to malware by default? What? Your computer has never been part of a botnet, you say? Are you sure? Then, why is it that some users complain that their PCs still download updates regardless of their preferences? They are part of the biggest botnet in the world, that's why!
    "2. You will be totally unprotected:"
24 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Planning to Migrate to Linux? BEWARE!!!

@Jim I wasn't deliberately stirring, I thought It was funny that's all  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I will give you the benefit of the doubt as regards your intentions but given the sort of response it would engender
Viz - move to linux and all your favourite apps will stop working and you won't have a clue where My Documents has gone to and all your Steam games will have gone as well
Let's say it was a pro-active moderating action  Grin Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: Oldjim
all your Steam games will have gone as well

Who wants Steam powered games anyway? Much better on a console  Grin
Must admit if I had posted that I know what the comments would have been
Steve
Pro

Well I don't know what to say.... Grin It wont get much feedback anyway, Or If It does It would mostly be from windows user's.
Community Veteran

TOO LATE!!  migrated five years ago.  i'm dunfer!  oh woe is me.  arf! arf! lolalal
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I migrated several years ago and I am totally unable to run Internet Explorer.
I have also looked for service packs in vain. Grin

Community Veteran

Migrated about 18 months back, not regretted it a moment, I even installed myself a Windows VM just in case... I've never used it!
magnetism2772
Grafter

linux is overrated
now i've red eye with all this chrome work on the site
and need to turn down the brightness of my monitor  
magnetism2772
Grafter

In the open source situation, linux good ,bad,  ugly?
THEY JUST WANT YOU TO FIT IN
idealistic yes, while benefits are there, they are limited
its not only windows that contain buggy code
linux beta testers can vouch that a lot of open source projects are probably poorly written
and hard to change when coded in obscure languages such as  ocampa and lisp
give me work that is created in a well commented C-form or VB-form language
as for customer satisfaction
how can open source programmers know  ?
when as with many open source projects, there is not even a customer
Community Veteran

Your on drugs giro I take it?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: giro
and hard to change when coded in obscure languages such as  ocampa and lisp
give me work that is created in a well commented C-form or VB-form language

What are these "form" languages?
You can't beat a nice big lump of FORTRAN 77.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

or even the good old Basic.
Is you cant understand that there is no hope for you.
PS - I did a Fortan course in the mid 70's
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: giro
In the open source situation, linux good ,bad,  ugly?
THEY JUST WANT YOU TO FIT IN

Sorry, but it is the absolute opposite. Microsoft want you to conform to their way of doing things, and gives you much less freedom than Linux does.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Tried several linux distros over the years but never found one I was completely happy with. There was either a very distinct lack of PCI based dial up support or lack of wireless drivers for a start. Oddly however there's great support for 10/100 ethernet - so you either need a router or a windows box with ICS enabled... not much use to those who can't get broadband is it. I certainly don't see why someone should have to go and buy extra hardware (serial modem) just to use a free OS when many folks have a PCI modem installed (or one of those smaller MR modems).
Then I had the dreaded RPM installs... Now trying to install openoffice which is the leading free competitor against MS's Office shouldn't be a hassle.. but it was. Even with the Yast installer on SuSE it was trouble. Thats even if you manage to download the correct RPM (remember there's the i586, i686, i486 versions etc). With windows you just download and run... linux RPM's have to be very specifically targeted for that OS and OS version.
I do like linux.. it certainly seems to be a better thought out OS but I'll be sticking with Winblows for a while..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!