Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned Openreach Exchange Upgrades

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Planned Openreach Exchange Upgrades

Yes, I was checking the both daily as I watched from my office window the work that was going on at the pole, and hearing others in the area had install dates (and a couple who had already been installed), so could have probably told you the window of about 8 hours when the checkers got updated!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

@pjmarsh Is it your intention to upgrade?

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

@davel8r wrote:

@Baldrick1 

Interesting. I would have agreed with that sentiment a year or so ago but I think things are changing. My sister in law moved into a property in Cornwall a month ago and was convinced she'd have to get a 4g/5g internet solution as most of the providers weren't offering much in the way of landline broadband. She was delighted to find that BT offered FTTP so now her and her grateful neighbours who didn't know anything about it, are enjoying full FTTP

Interesting that this https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first doesn't feature Cornwall at all. Presumably they have a local coumcil or similar initiative goimg on.

Looking at the Openreach map shows how pathetically small the current FTTP area is. Why oh why isn't the money and resources currently being wasted on the vanity new train set project that will stop hardly anywhere and only a few people will be able to afford to use diverted to reducing the need for people to travel?

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

We'll see.  I've got a FTTC connection which should be capable of a full sync, though keeps getting banded at 74Mb, so still not too bad.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Interesting that this https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first doesn't feature Cornwall at all. Presumably they have a local coumcil or similar initiative goimg on.

@Baldrick1 

It would be nice to say that's because FTTP provision is done and dusted, but that's not the case.  I don't know the present coverage but it's pretty extensive percentage-wise compared to most of the rest of the country.  I suspect my town probably has at least 50% FTTP coverage.

There is/was a council initiative which started in 2011 involving getting back some of our money from the EU and although I'm not sure of the present state of play I know it's progressing through further infill stages.

However, backed up by my own experience (referred to in post #11), it seems that Superfast Cornwall is now a shadow of its former self, which I guess is to be expected as it's job is mainly done, but it now seems difficult to have any meaningful discussion over localised issues with them which wasn't the case a few years ago.

Having said that there are some locations in Cornwall which are included on the list at that link I provided in post #13 which pjmarsh found his town on.

Edit:  link added

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm very happy with my Plusnet FTTC as its been rock solid since installed - I'm not far from the green cabinet so get decent speed.

I'm happy with this WiFi speed test via my S9 today - non Plusnet equipment & on my 5Ghz network.

Screenshot_20200625-165917_Samsung Internet.jpg