Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plane Down in Hudson River

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Plane Down in Hudson River

Quote from: itsme
Saying that I'm flying Tuesday and I'm a bit concerned as a lot of snow is forecasted at the airport that I'm landing at.

Which country / airport ?
Winter operations are routine, runway clearing, aircraft deicing etc
Think outside of the British mentality. Many many countries have much colder climate than us, and they operate aircraft, airports in weather far colder than here.  A few examples, Scandinavia - Northern USA, Canada, Russia, China  etc etc.
I've travelled to Sweden, Norway, Finland a lot and their airports have to be able to cope. How many airliner crashes have you heard of with Scandinavian ( SAS ), Finnair  ???.
And other airlines go there just as much such as BA, KLM, etc etc etc.

Highlighted
Grafter

Sat on Munich airstrip having the wings de-iced and thought of the Busby Babes went through my mind. 2 years ago sat on Geneva airstrip for over and hour. The whole plane was de-iced, previously only experienced wings being de-iced, snowing hard and before they could complete the airstrip was closed for clearing. When reopened plane had to be de-iced again, was informed by the captain they only have a fifteen minute window from de-icing to take off.
Flying to Geneva on Tuesday, have taken off in snow several times but never landed when snow on the ground. So could be a first.
Highlighted
Grafter

Sat on Munich airstrip having the wings de-iced and thought of the Busby Babes went through my mind. 2 years ago sat on Geneva airstrip for over and hour. The whole plane was de-iced, previously only experienced wings being de-iced, snowing hard and before they could complete the airstrip was closed for clearing. When reopened plane had to be de-iced again, was informed by the captain they only have a fifteen minute window from de-icing to take off.
Flying to Geneva on Tuesday, have taken off in snow several times but never landed when snow on the ground. So could be a first.

Technology has moved on since the Munich air crash so am sure all will be ok and indeed from reading this thread I think some of my own fear is somewhat unfounded.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Geneva - is in the south - compared to Scandinavia, Russia, North of USA , Canada etc.
Again don't compare to UK - these countrie have snow ploughs, deicing kit much much better than UK.
Highlighted
Grafter

Don't know whether it's technology or experience? The Munich crash was caused because too much slush was on the airstrip.
Some of the new Airbus crashes have been caused through technology, fly by wire. One being the flight that was coming out of clouds and into a mountain and the pilots put the plane into a climb and the fly by wire system was having none of it and crashed.
Highlighted
Grafter

And not only that they closed the original Munchen Flughaven and built a new one further out
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Any in those days they used Douglass DC6's with piston engines and  didn't they and they didn't have full de-icing >???
not that much wrong with DC3,4,6,8,9,10 unless mishandled . Only not been in DC4 & 6 ! myself..
Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
Geneva - is in the south - compared to Scandinavia, Russia, North of USA , Canada etc.
Again don't compare to UK - these countrie have snow ploughs, deicing kit much much better than UK.
I think you'll find that Toronto is well south of Geneva  Roll_eyes  - first flew into there 40 years ago in a BOAC 707
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Yep, and I bet at this time of year the Hudson is very cold.

At time of the incident the water temperature was 35F and the air temp was 18F!  (1.5C and -8C for the youngsters)
Some people did end up in the water, The heroic very capable and well trained pilot had to come out of the aircraft into the water. That was after he had walked up and down the aisle twice to make sure all the passengers were off, so he was already wet I guess.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Quote from: mal0z
Any in those days they used Douglass DC6's with piston engines and  didn't they and they didn't have full de-icing >???
not that much wrong with DC3,4,6,8,9,10 unless mishandled . Only not been in DC4 & 6 ! myself..

I think I flew in a DC6 out to Malta in 1963..... first time I had flown, and was real scared.  (only just turned 17 then! ) was flying out there to join my first ship.... so doubly scary !
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

I think I flew in a DC6 out to Malta in 1963...

Back then in 1963, there was no such thing as GPS, sophisticated autopilots  etc.  - and maybe early VOR ( VHF beacons ) ?, and NDB ( Non directional beacons on MF frequencies of about 600kHz etc ? - and they had real human  navigators and radio operators on board aircraft  Smiley Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Don't get me wrong people - I think this is one of the best news stories for month's -  Smiley Smiley Smiley
the media just seem to love bad news and good news stories get little coverage.
I just hate the way our media cover such stories.
Highlighted
Grafter

the story of the first photo above was on the news tonight, it was taken by a punter on a ferry with his phone, he posted it to U tube, was around the world before the press knew what had happened, all for free
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

utube twitter
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Grafter

well I wasnt sure