cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plane Down in Hudson River

Highlighted
Rising Star

Re: Plane Down in Hudson River

@mal0z - I saw an interview, on BBC, with a former BA captain and he said that it wasn't possible to practice a belly landing, in water, on a simulator.
As this BA captain had all 4 engines fail over the Indian Ocean, and landed safely, his opinion was rather valid. He pointed out that he had far more time to plan what to do as he had been at 39,000 feet  - he suggested that the AA captain was one of the rare breed who just don't panic.
He also pointed out that pilots are normally used to judging their final approach height with the landing gear down whereas this chap would have had the gear up.
Agreed that the first life the chap saved was his own and a lot of things were in his favour - assuming it was a bird strike it probably wouldn't have happened after dark.
Whilst it wasn't a miracle I don't object to them calling the chap a hero.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
You also forgot that he runs  a Disaster Training consultancy

Which will now be very high profile and eminently more authoritative :-)) -
and he will no doubt make a lot of money out of this - which I don't begrudge - not that a senior airline pilot is poor :-)).
To put my previous comments into perspective - I have been a professional pilot myself, and did a lot of gliding as well - and at national gliding competitions many of the top competitors were  / are airline pilots. The Booker Gliding club near High Wycombe ( among other clubs )  has many BA airline pilots . This sort of thing is the subject of numerous evening chats in the bars, and no doubt this weekend doubly so.........

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
@mal0z - I saw an interview, on BBC, with a former BA captain and he said that it wasn't possible to practice a belly landing, in water, on a simulator.

I heard this on Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 - I thought I mentioned different perspective on landing without undercarriage down -
I'm not disputing hat he is all the passengers and families hero - I'm just commenting on the media hype which goes totally overboard at such events. I admire the man greatly - a truly exemplary performance by any standards.
Highlighted
Grafter

Apparently he managed to keep the wings level which is why it floated and didn't break up, suppose the fact hr is apparently a former fighter pilot helped as that has to be one of the best forms of training and definitely the sort of person you'd want at the helm if the chips are down.
Well done that man  Smiley
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The pilot has been given the freedom of the city today by the mayor - justly deserved. 
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Forgot to mention before - this is why we have professional pilots at the controls. It is eminently possible to have an aircraft totally controlled by it's auto pilot, with data link instructions from air traffic to control the flight from push back, through take off - to landing and taxing back to the stand.
It's these incidents that show why we will always need professional people in control at all times. No automatic system could have done this.
Highlighted
Grafter

Very true.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Great pics, particularly the first one.  If we didn't know it was factual it looks like something taken from a rescue movie.
Highlighted
Fixes: 471

What is it they say "Any landing you can walk away from is a good 'un".....or in this case swim away from Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 80.0.1 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Grafter

Very much doubt whether you would be able to swim away from this one, survival in water at low temperatures is minutes.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep, and I bet at this time of year the Hudson is very cold.
Highlighted
Grafter

I suppose they'll have to look at how to better protect the engines from birdstrikes
Found this on Airbus' website if you are interested http://www.airbus.com/crisis/index.html
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well done to all the crew.
Highlighted
Grafter

I think he was amazing............... and admire the crew and passengers too for getting themselves all out.