cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pine Trees

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Pine Trees

Have a couple of pine trees at the bottom of the garden which I have been meaning to prune for years so eventually got around to the task today, what a job, the actual sawing of the branches was not too bad but the sap from the tree, of which there is plenty sticks like glue and gets everywhere.
A Chain saw might have been quicker but it's one thing I would never buy as the injuries caused by them can be severe and using one up a ladder pruning a 30ft tree without the additional safety equipment was a no no for me.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Pine Trees

In preparation for tidying the woodland attached to my orchard I've undertaken some training. You quickly learn how dangerous lopping trees and/or felling them, moving them can be if not done carefully.  I now have the equipment such as chainsaw, protective equipment, wedges, ropes, winches etc  For example if you are working at height, even with a bow saw, you need fall arresting kit (ropes, harness etc.) in case you slip and it is often better to use controlled lowering of branches than allow them to fall. It might be better to use a lopping saw on an extension to remove branches.
Here's my tips in using a Chainsaw;
Undertake training in the use of chainsaw and felling techniques.
Avoid chainsaw kickback situations.
Use cutting techniques which avoid trapping the saw blade.
Make sure the chain/ saw blade is kept sharp.
Wear protective gloves, helmet with visor and protective ear protectors, purpose designed leggings and tough boots.
Work with a partner in the area too summon help if things go wrong, but not too close to you when you are operating the chainsaw
Don't saw above shoulder height.
Know your escape routes if boughs or trunks fall.
Watch out for dead branches above you which might fall
Don't work up a ladder.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Personally I'd give a local tree surgeon a yell and get a quote - it may be less than you think.
We spent a couple of days doing the trees that border our industrial estate in London and it was backbreaking work despite a large number of volunteers and a chainsaw !
Community Veteran

Chainsaws are probably the most dangerous bit of garden machinery you can use.
You can get good really good pruning saws and pole saws that would go through anything up to 5-6 inches (even more if you've got the stamina!).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@AndyH,
Fully agree with that. Even trained tree surgeons have accidents
@DomS,
Not really worth it in my case for 2 trees, I did not get a quote but guess £100 or so to do the job
AlaricAdair,
Some excellent advice in your post but for a one off job for 2 trees it would not be worth the cost of hiring the equipment even if I knew how to safely use it.
Community Veteran

Plenty of trees in our area (several in our garden) and plenty of tree surgeons - one is just 2 doors away!
If I can't cut it safely while standing on the ground I pay a professional to do it. Many are happy to do small jobs as well as larger ones.
That said, a couple of years ago we had a whole gang (4 of them) working all day on our garden trees and large shrubs which had got a bit out of hand.
Interesting to watch how they work, especially high up on ropes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The cost of an arborist seems to vary enormously depending on your location in the country and whether the word "insurance" has been mentioned.  In the orchard I have something like 100 trees to manage so buying the equipment and training was relevant in my case. Earlier when it was just trees in the garden we hired an insured professional arborist to do the work for just a few trees. However when the storm last autumn blew down a tree in our garden my chainsaw was really handy for removing the tree. Horses for courses really.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.