Picture from today's Times - Travellers leaving a school carpark

Please watch how you reply to this otherwise the mods will remove it

2017-02-27_194830.jpg2017-02-27_200100.jpg

So why wasn't the driver arrested

37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Picture from today's Times - Travellers leaving a school carpark

Picture the situation.....  A large group of travellers, being evicted from a school yard...   

Mr. Plod ( the one in the pic ) has been informed that the car approaching him  is untaxed.. ( probably not insured either ) and he should aprehend the driver and arrange for the car to be taken off the road, complete with the caravan being towed behind it...

Picture the situations... YOU are the Policeman .... what would you do ? 

Anonymous
N/A

As you can clearly see from the screenshot of the mot and tax check site, it can take 5 days for the details on that site to update. Perhaps the police have more up to date information than those posting on this forum who seem keen to stir up race hate.

Anonymous
N/A

@Oldjim

As you are so keen to highlight those who may be breaking the law, I assume you have the permission of that photograph's copyright holder to post it here? If not, then maybe you too should be subject to the full force of the law.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

Picture the situations... YOU are the Policeman .... what would you do ? 

Carry on as usual only picking on easy and vulnerable targets and only upholding the laws that I want to.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

@notinmyname and anyone else @Oldjim I am sure raised the OP in good faith, and has put an acknowledgement of the source in the title. Copyright is a matter of civil law, whereas the car is being used (actually going to be used- from pic) on the highway, a matter for statutory law. I think that is more important.  TBH I doubt Times Newspapers will be too concerned either.

Police, I hope, will take action, but at a more convenient time.

Lastly IMO nit picking is not good for a happy community. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Anonymous
N/A

Luzern wrote:

Lastly IMO nit picking is not good for a happy community. 

Nor, in my opinion, is posting items which are likely to result in the racist comments I have seen far too often on this forum. And I would suggest that @Oldjim was well aware of this possibility as the first line of his post makes clear.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

That site asks if you are the registered owner of the vehicle in question & asks you to leave if you aren't.

Community Veteran

I'm sure it used to but the pages I just looked at no longer had the "get out you nosy parker" note.

No chance of that vehicle getting impounded as the police were probably busy organising the next blind man tasering event. Even then it takes a team to take him down.

It's a cane not a gun

Anonymous
N/A

@VileReynard

No, I think it's only the site which reports whether the car is insured that says that. The image posted is from https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk

I do wonder why the OP felt it necessary to check though...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Did you really stump up the admin fee to check the insurance on that car?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

Sorry

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Not clever!

You could have at least deleted the content of the post with an explanation instead of leaving my post hanging.

For those who didn't see the post now removed there was a screen capture taken from a website where you can verify that the insurance for a vehicle you own is recorded on the insurance database for free, but checking for insurance on someone else's vehicle requires you to pay an admin fee.

Not the best example from a moderator!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
N/A

I agree entirely. I suspect the deletion of the post showing insurance information was related to the following text taken from the askmid website:

'If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1998'

Quite what a moderator was doing posting this information in the first place is a question which perhaps needs answering now.

Community Veteran

The travellers were being evicted from that site, in short they were being forced to take vehicles with no road tax on to the road on the instructions of the police.

In court they could argue that on private land they did not need road tax but were forced to commit an offence by the police ?

Daft argument ? of course it is but you can bet some solicitor would argue the point in court at what cost to tax payers.

There are times when a thing might be wrong but it is better to accept the lesser or two evils.