Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture/Photo size.

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Picture/Photo size.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, please move to proper place if need be.

I was wondering what the picture/photo size is to post one in the forums. I have done a search for answers to this question, but found nothing. Or do I need to make a certain number of posts to do this? I remember being a member of another forum to do with fishing and had to have a minimum of 50 posts to reach 'Trusted' before pics could be posted. Thanks for any answers.Wink

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Picture/Photo size.

When you make a "new post"... underneath the text box, is the word "Browse".... below that is  "File attachment limits"  and it says...

Maximum files per post: 9
Maximum size per file: 5.2MB
Accepted filetypes: jpg,gif,png,jpeg,pdf,csv,txt

Someone somewhere, has changed the action of the "browse" from multi- use... to "single use"... so if you want to add 9 pics, you have to "post" the original, then "Edit" it after it appears on the forum board, 8 separate times to get your full quota of 9 pics attached.

I did make a post about this inefficiency on the Community Site board

https://community.plus.net/t5/Community-Site-Feedback/Adding-pics-to-a-post-Not-working-properly/m-p...

But it seems to have died a death, as nowt has been done about re-instating the multi-use .... Cry

Pete11
Pro

Thanks for that, it'll only be 1 pic...2 at most in 1 post, don't want to take up space on servers. It's the size I was wondering about, in pixels, like avatars are 80x80.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

But if you wish to post an image then you don't use that link but the Insert a Photo on the top bar and then you can easily add multiple images

The use of Browse is not the recommended way

As far as I know the limit is 5MB per image and a maximum of 10 images per post

There isn't a specific size (in pixels) but when rendered on the page it is sized accordingly

Pete11
Pro

Ok, thanks a lot Thumbs Up Now I have an idea on size. Thanks for replies all/each. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Quick tip.., if for some reason your photo is blocked i.e. you can't upload it, check that the file name doesn't contain any objectionable wording. I wanted to upload a picture of a BlueTit the other day and it wouldn't allow it as the file name was the same. I had to rename the file to 'bird.jpg'. It's censorship gone mad if you ask me. 

Pete11
Pro

Nice tip sir, and thanks. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

If you pic file is too large, the quickest way to re-size it, is to use FastImageResizer... puts an icon on the desktop, and you just drag & drop your pics onto it,...#

It will resize them in nanoseconds, and put them in a folder called "Resize" in the same folder as they came from.

(You must set this up first though .... I think there is only about 3 things to set up)..

( Doesn`t (or didn`t) work with Linux )..

http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/

Excellent for re-sizing those large pics before emailing them...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@shutter

Or a simpler way without downloading other tools is to use Windows Paint, resize, crop, flip, rotate, job done. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran

@MKSlinky Actually... once you have downloaded it, and installed it... set your three parameters... it is about 75% faster than opening "paint".. finding the pic. and then doing the crop/resize actions... all you have to do is to drag and drop the file onto the icon on the desktop... no need to open resizer.. ... and the job is done...   resized... saved in a new folder, within the existing original folder,  and renumbered with the new size... you don`t even have to do the "save" or "save as" option..

Simples !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Download the excellent Fast Image Resizer http://adionsoft.net/fastimageresize/

And set for 800x600 for the resized image, this is acceptable for most general .jpg uploaded images to be published online such as in these forums.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Oh I see Shutter has already recommended that. I agree with him. I got the hint from him in the first placeSmiley

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@shutter

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking that program, I'm sure it suits some people very well and certainly takes all the guess work out of things. I do graphic design, freelance and hobbyist so I'm old school in that respect and prefer full control over image manipulation using Photoshop. Wink

Community Veteran

petlew wrote:

Oh I see Shutter has already recommended that. I agree with him. I got the hint from him in the first placeSmiley

Doh !  Roll eyes

Luzern
Pro

Sorry for digressing a bit, but that file size limit seems exceptionally generous. @shutter will confirm (0r deny)the truth, but I dis read a good 10" x 8" can come from a 4 megapixel camera

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.