cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pics of Endeavour returning to NASA in December.

Community Veteran

Pics of Endeavour returning to NASA in December.

There are some great pics here of Endeavour returning to NASA.
http://tinyurl.com/7pzne9
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Pics of Endeavour returning to NASA in December.

OK then - which of the Essex old boys visited Stansted to see the shuttle brought in by NASA 747 - when was it about 1980 ?
We bypassed the road jams by flying in from Stapleford 
Community Veteran

Here's a bit on it:
http://tinyurl.com/bsovgu
Guess you're a private pilot Mal if you used Stapleford.  A thriving little airport just down the road from me.
Community Veteran

Yes - was professional for a while too. And flew at North Weald as well, gliders etc..
I didn't fly that day - a friend took a group of us in a Cherokee 6 IIRC
firmly on the ground now.  Sad
Community Veteran

I started taking flying lessons many years ago at Stapleford but it became too expensive.  Seem to remember they used to use Aircoupes (?) for lessons.  Stapleford also has helicopters based there now for executive travel.
North Weald is still going strong and I often see the gliders at weekends.  It is run now by my local council for a number of recreational purposes and there is a RAF museum there also.  It was considered a venue for an Olympic event but lost out in the bidding.  The TV programme 'The Crystal Maze' was filmed there as indeed was part of 'Saving Private Ryan'.
Prescott wanted to put houses on the site but we managed to stop him, then he wanted to turn it into a gypsy camp Angry  Can you imagine a bunch of layabouts taking it over?   
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My daughter got to see it, We were coming home from Wales and tuned into BBC Essex about Buntingford, mentioned the event but absolutely no mention of Jams, got about five mile away and took another hour to get past Stansted,  Now with the new A120 I can be in Stansted within 20 Mins or less
itsme
Grafter

If there are no jams. Missed a flight last year, believe it will be a year this Saturday. Took nearly 2 hours from the A12 junction to the airport.
Community Veteran

And N Weald was used for The Battle of Britain film - along with Duxford.
The old PO radio masts at N Weald are clearly visible in the film.
Community Veteran

Quite a history and lucky to survive.  The runway is still working and used for the gliders as well as a limited number of small aircraft.  On Saturdays it hosts a market which they say is the biggest in the UK.
Community Veteran

Yes - I was an instructor with the gliding club for many years in the 70's/80's and still have friends there.
It was a group of such that went to see the Shuttle.  Grin
One day I want to watch a live Shuttle or it's replacement launched at Cape Canaveral - or whatever it's called these days