Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking that scab

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Picking that scab

And still they pick away by demanding another vote on Brexit - and now we have Jean-Luc-Picard putting in his two pennies' worth. I'm now all for it m'slef as long as it shuts 'em up....... and we can have a third vote. Thumbs Up

What's it got to do with a Star Trek Captain anyway? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43774200

awkward_wave_star_trek.gif

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
15 REPLIES
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Picking that scab

What's it got to do with him?..He'll get to say his line again (if he can remember it)...

"Make it so".   Grin

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Then how many times do we go through the Brexit vote loop, until they get what they want?

I do agree it would have been better to have a vote once we knew the exit conditions first, but that wasn't practical. I voted for exit and I stick by it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I thought the Enterprise crew were going forward into brave new worlds rather than trying to go back in time and change things.

Fixes: 192

Have you seen Star Trek: First Contact? Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

He's just another chap who is skilled at portraying fictional situations. He's probably hopeless at flipping burgers, so he has a different career.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Anonymous
N/A

Funny how those who are most adamant that leaving the EU will be a good thing are also those who are most vehement in wishing to deny the electorate a say when the details of the deal are known...

If the sunlit Brexit uplands are going to be so great, then surely there is no harm in having a ‘people’s vote’. Unless, of course, all those fervent brexiters have other motives...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Depending on which way you voted, personally,.....(even if you didn`t vote)..... we all voted for a war ( economic type ) with the EU....

None of us voted for slamming missiles into another country, nor did we have any choices in the recent spat with Putin and Russia.

However......      we have to abide by the top brass decisions and actions, whether we like it or not...in the end,.... do we really have a choice  ? ? ? 

Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Funny how those who are most adamant that leaving the EU will be a good thing are also those who are most vehement in wishing to deny the electorate a say when the details of the deal are known...

If the sunlit Brexit uplands are going to be so great, then surely there is no harm in having a ‘people’s vote’. Unless, of course, all those fervent brexiters have other motives...

I thought we did have a 'people's vote' ?

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:

We have, according to the powers that be..except only when it suits them.  Then they can claim x amount of £££'s in expenses by having a meeting and going against it.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Mav wrote:

Have you seen Star Trek: First Contact? Wink

The borg attempted to travel back through time to assimilate earth into a single, unified hive mind controlled by one central plexus (sound familiar??), with no one individual allowed to have it's own thoughts, ideas or lives, thankfully the Enterprise saved the day, just a shame Sir Pat didn't learn the moral story from having acted that role, but then, it was 22 years ago now... Huh

Anonymous
N/A

@Pete11 wrote:

@gleneagles wrote:

We have, 

Well, of course the truth is we have had two. And part of the brexiters’ logic in having the second referendum was that the EU had changed beyond recognition compared to the EEC that we had voted to stay in in 1975. But then I think you could make the same claim about the need for another vote. 

The 2016 referendum ballot asked (simplistically) whether we should leave or remain in the EU. There was no mention of the customs union or single market, both of which we could stay in even if we leave the EU. In spite of the referendum result being close, the current cabinet is hell bent on pursuing the hardest of Brexits - to the point where what they are trying to do far exceeds the mandate from the referendum.

I therefore fully support the campaign to have a ‘people’s vote’ once we know what deal the government is proposing for our future relationship with the EU.

Community Veteran

@Anonymous

Only time can tell if the decision to leave the EU, Customs Union and the single market was the correct one.

Let's assume your concerns turn out to be correct and the whole thing is a disaster what would be the likely outcome ?

Some political party (Likely Labour if it still exists) Would announce if they got into power they would take the UK back into the EU and it's fairly certain the EU would welcome us back along with our money.

But can anyone be certain that the EU will still exist in it's current form ? What the future holds for the EU is anyones guess, there are a number of members opposed to what the EU wants them to do and little can progress unless all member states agree on any issue.

Anonymous
N/A

@gleneagles

But the point is that the referendum was only about leaving the EU, not about leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market.

Just what is wrong with finding out how the ‘will of the people’ stacks up against the deal the government gets, once we know what that is?

Community Veteran

No government is going to allow the public to vote on remaining in a customs union or a single market, we would simply be going through the same process as the vote to leave or remain in the EU with one group saying whatever was agreed could be changed and the other group insisting it was a good deal.

What Cameron learned with the referendum and May learned with the general election is that you can never count on the way you are sure the public will vote.

If a vote was allowed I suspect the total votes would be much lower than the previous one as many are weary of hearing about britexit so whichever side won I think it would be close, the same old points would be made over again from the losing side ie: The total wanting to remain is far lower than the total population  so it should not count etc

Is it fair a vote will not be held ?

Perhaps, but it simply will not happen