cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick a Spell Checker, any Spell Checker!!!

zedingrove
Grafter

Pick a Spell Checker, any Spell Checker!!!

Now type in "etc" and it will be underlined red. Right click  and it will show the correct format which is a full stop on the end.
Select it, then carry on typing. But hold on it is still underlined in red even though it has been corrected in spell Checker...... Cheesy Crazy
17 REPLIES
BryanP
Grafter

Re: Pick a Spell Checker, any Spell Checker!!!

I tried it in Office 10 word and etc was underlined and I corrected to include the dot but it cleared the red line underneath and accepted the correction
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I always add a full-stop to etc. the spell checker finds it incorrect with and without the full-stop. I just ignore it and carry on.
etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Teds31
Grafter

Tried it in word 2002 no underline.Ted
Fixes: 47

The British English Dictionary 1.19.1 add on in FF13 accepted either etc or etc.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
BryanP
Grafter

Just add etc to the dictionary
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Word 2010 says "etc" is incorrect and "etc." is correct but it will accept either "&c" or "&c.".
I always believed etc. should have a full stop as it's an abbreviation.
Why, though, is CD not C.D. and DVD not D.V.D.?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
David_W
Rising Star

It gets more complicated, N.A.S.A. vs NASA vs Nasa, the BBC (ages ago) decided to drop full caps unless there were special circumstances, so P.C. is now Pc (for police constable), Nasa instead of NASA but not Bbc it has to be BBC etcetera.  Crazy (see what I did there?)
Community Veteran

If my PC (Computer, that is, not police constable) suddenly becomes a Pc I'll be doing a virus scan straight away.  Next we'll have 'Am' for morning and 'Pm' for afternoon (or the head of HM (or is that Hm) government)!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
David_W
Rising Star

I would guess it'll be HM as it's His/Her Majesty so needs proper capitals, maybe, perhaps,  PC is PC according to the BBC.  I wonder how they do sort it out?  Maybe it's based on words, when you see Nasa for instance you say "Nasa" not N A S A, but when you see BBC you say "BBC" not "Bbc" and for Pc you say "copper" or something so could be down to that?
Community Veteran

And for PM (Pm) we usually say 'lying git'  Grin
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

The reason of course why spell checkers don't like etc. or etc is because the correct spelling is etcetera more correctly even in italics.
Or as Yul Bryner puts it etceterah!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
1.19.1 add on in FF13 accepted either etc or etc.

Only after I added it to the dictionary on my similar set up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

It accepted both and I didn't add them to the dictionary
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: David
It gets more complicated, N.A.S.A. vs NASA vs Nasa, the BBC (ages ago) decided to drop full caps unless there were special circumstances, so P.C. is now Pc (for police constable), Nasa instead of NASA but not Bbc it has to be BBC etcetera.  Crazy (see what I did there?)

Scuba, radar and laser are nice examples of acronyms that have entered the vernacular as seemingly normal words.
Mathew