cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photography

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Photography

Always had an interest in photography but did not do much of it due to a lack of funds, when digital replaced film cameras I had no intention of going digital  but someone bought me a 2MP camera small enough to fit in my pocket and when I downloaded the pictures I was amazed at the quality and the ability to improve them with the software provided,
Have moved on a bit since then but there was still some kind of magic attached to the old film cameras which is lacking in the digital ones,
I think Leica and others have designed some cameras to look and sound like the old film cameras , perhaps it's nostalgia on my part or do others feel the same ?
21 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Photography

there were a lot more things you could achieve with a cheap old film camera that you cant do so easily with a cheap digital one, and I certainly do feel as if you got a better resolution quality with some of the processing places but others gave noticeably poorer results so maybe that's down to equipment used, on the other hand I prefer the versatility of digital for everyday use and being able to instantly check the shot to see any errors is a lot better than waiting a week only to find out the picture of a life time had something obscuring the lens (like when I was on top of swiss mountain some years back and took what should of been several vista shots but instead was a bunch of very close up shots of a glove)
maybe one day they will create something that's cheap and does all the cool things old fashioned film cameras did (like double/ triple exposure slides) but with all the convenience of digital
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 47

I used to enjoy developing my own film and making contact prints.
Later when I had saved enough money I bought an enlarger and made much bigger prints.
That part of the magic of photography has gone from me with digital.
I started my working life in the laboratories of a steel works and was expected to spend a month in each of the departments.
When I moved into the photography department I was dragged out after 3 months and moved into the refractory department Angry
Up until getting a camera phone I never went out without a camera....usually my trusty Pentax.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Nope, I don't miss film cameras at all. They were expensive and nasty from my POV.
When i was young I couldn't afford a film yet along the processing too. I remember getting one or two processed but that would be after several months of them laying around.
Digital is superior from that POV. Point, click, plug in and print. Job done. It's like a miracle. The only expense is the camera and the rest is virtually free. If you ask me thats a big improvement - especially when you're skint!
Only thing I don't like about digital is the pixelation when you zoom in. Film was better for enlargement but even that had its limits.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

Quote from: 7up
The only expense is the camera and the rest is virtually free

If you get someone else to print your photos for you.....like my daughter does Sad
Community Veteran

Grin
Well I (rarely) print mine. The only cost to that is the electric, the paper and the toner. Well I say toner I didn't pay for the printer or the toner so that hasn't really cost me yet  Cheesy
Yes I am touching wood..  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

if you want to share them with family & friends, there are free ways to do so of course,
Social media sites
Media sharing Example being Dropbox
or a very cheap way
Burn a slideshow to DVD
See no need to have trees chopped down anymore Wink
Community Veteran

I rarely print pics anyway to be honest. Why bother? The computer screen is far better at displaying them!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The only thing I preferred the old film cameras for was the contrast range
I mostly used slide film and until 3M pulled out of the market I used to develop my own with remarkably good results
Note - I haven't gone to the expense of twin sensor cameras and I really haven't even considered taking pictures in RAW although that would probably get round most of the contrast range limitations
TORPC
Grafter

I rarely print pics anyway to be honest. Why bother? The computer screen is far better at displaying them!

Or a
Smart TV
I also find the slideshow photo-frames are great for xmas / b/day pressies
Community Veteran

Smart TVs are not all they're cracked up to be. Just a month or so back there was a thing on the DM about the manufacturers not keeping up with licences and as a result, users of their TVs were loosing features / apps.
You're better off using a custom solution such as a PC hooked up to the TV.
Our TV has a SD card slot that we can use (though it's a pain to get the card back out of so i never use it lol)
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

long hdmi cable out of the spare slot in the gfx card to the main tele, far cheaper than the smurt option and provides greater flexibility too, I can watch the on demand stuff though a set top box or stream it off the net from alternative sources through the pc as well
but I don't often use it to look at photo's in the home, although once or twice a year someone will ask to see something on the big screen as it were Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 125

I must say there was something to be said for handing in the roll of film at boots and the week's anticipation before they were ready. Of course, the stickers with red writing over many of them tended to douse any excitement Cheesy
I used to develop my own black and whites and the odd role of slide film. Personally, for colour I preferred slides and, in general, black and white can be more dramatic and thought-provoking.
Also, back in the day the camera rarely, if ever, lied but today it tells more porkies than a politician Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

The daughter has many family photos in her flat and hanging monitors all over the place becomes quite expensive Wink
Fixes: 125

There's always these.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still