cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photograph editing

N/A

Photograph editing

Josie's just sent me a picture of Holly taken by her niece (Josie's, not Holly's).
She's wiped out the lead with a bit of dabbling on the photograph so it looks like Holly doesn't have a lead on at all.
Josie can't do it and I can't either. I only have basic Paint and Photo Premium (MS Picture It!).
Do you have to buy expensive suites to wipe (or touch up) objects on a photo?
Was thinking of picking up a bit of texture from around the object and dabbing it on so that it 'disappears'.
Here's the picture:
48 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Photograph editing

I think it's a feature that can appear in fairly inexpensive photo editors, although the implementation can be a little crude and unsuccessful - more expensive editors will have better algorithms for blending in the 'patched' areas and will offer more control over how it works. One piece of software that I'm sure would do a decent job is Photoshop Elements - that can be had for around £50.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Try Gimp http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ it does it and it's free
Fixes: 47

I had a copy of Photoshop Elements bundled with a Digital Camera.
Check your CD's to see if you have it but not installed it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The procedure is called " cloning" and you look for the "rubber stamp" tool in your toolbox....
find a similar colour and  textured area to the bit you want to cover up, and then you have to select it, then move the cursor to the area you want to rub out, and carefully rub out or "clone" it... takes a bit of time to get right sometimes...
not sure if  Picasa does it?Huh
Denzil
Grafter

The GIMP is a full featured photo and graphics editing package, rather similar to Photoshop, but without the huge cost. As Oldjim says, it is free to download.
<a href="http://picasa.google.co.uk/">Picasa</a> has very basic editing tools, and is aimed more at easily organising your photos. It is also free.
By all means try both. The GIMP will be a bit harder to pick up at first, simply because it can do so much more, but it will offer much more control and subtlety than a basic editor. 
Community Veteran

Strat's right, you often see Photoshop Elements free on CDs given away with PC mags.
N/A

Forgot to say that I have Irfan View as well - added a Paint plugin and it does have a cloning thingy but I have just tried it and it is a bit unsatisfactory.
Am just downloading Gimp so hopefully that will work. Don't think that I have a disk with Photoshop Elements on it but will check.
Thank you for all the advice.
Community Veteran

poppy,
The advantage of Gimp are the really good tutorials available on line.
This is the one for the clone tool http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15037.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Good to see you using freeware Jim, did you get any of the Linux distro's running ?
N/A

Got the Gimp working and yes, it does have the cloning tool Oldjim and seems easier to use than the Irfanview one.
Had to check the online instructions before using it and it was quite easy to follow the cloning instructions.
Needs a lot of patience and time.
Community Veteran

Quote from: biker955
Good to see you using freeware Jim, did you get any of the Linux distro's running ?
Not at the moment - I am playing with Windows7 RC
When I have finished with that I will try one of the Nix options
Community Veteran

Let us know what you think of Windows 7RC please Oldjim.
Fixes: 104

Quote from: biker955

well it's open source if we're getting picky about things Wink Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Let us know what you think of Windows 7RC please Oldjim.
See the Windows 7 RC thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76095.0.html
I am using Vista today as I need to read emails - I haven't loaded Outlook yet