cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo job!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Photo job!

A few weeks ago, my wife's 4 children (my step) where supposed to be in the same place for probably the first time in more than 25 years.
The opportunity was set up to take many photo's, especially a set of the 4 with their Mum.
In the event eldest daughter had to return to New Zealand in a bit of a rush the day before the "shoot" This didn't go down especially well with the rest of the family as the whole thing had been set up to accommodate her rare visit to the UK.
But our family grumbles are not the point of this thread. The expected photo's went ahead without our daughter. I have a good recent (digital) photo of our daughter. How, can I edit both photo's to drop my daughter's image into the group with the other 3 children to make up a photo that includes all 4? The background will need to be changed in the daughters photo, fortunately the background of the main photo is fairly even colour.
Since this is likely to be a one-off job I'm not too interested in buying expensive software that may never be used again. Does anybody know of any free downloadable software that will do this job, I would probably consider time limited freeware that would give me enough to get a final result.
On a previous PC I think I had an app called Ulead that came as a bundle that would do this, but I no longer have it or the disc it came on.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
mossgrove
Grafter

Re: Photo job!

The GIMP will certainly do it - quite a steep learning curve though. Open source and free download from here:  http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
Lurker
Grafter

Its relatively straightforward to do - if you look at the simplistic - just want all four people on the same picture.
If lighting etc is similar, and they are all looking the same way, its pretty easy (just a slightly advanced cut/paste job which involves outlining the bit you want)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was lucky (nearly) with this one five generations, the only one missing is the mum of the little one bottom left - was working
Community Veteran

Thanks guy's.
Uhmm! the "gimp" certainly is a learning curve, not to mention just looking for what you want on their home page!!
@James G, sadly, the backgrounds couldn't be more different, the drop-in of my daughter is for all intents and purposes black, that with the other three family is as near as dammit yellow. I hadn't thought of a simple cut 'n'paste will look at that.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Lurker
Grafter

If you want to send me the pictures I can have a quick look for you.
Presumably you could attach them to a PM.
I can't promise how good it would look - but you have nothing to lose I guess!
Community Veteran

I'm really impressed with the response to this post, I've had two offers to do the job for me. Many thanks guy's.