Phones with built-in GPS and navigation

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Phones with built-in GPS and navigation

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I do have a phone with GPS (Sony Erricson) I didn't want it but was an upgrade on my account and didn't realise it was there for several weeks, I also use Sat Nav (Navman S50 with traffic option which is very quick to lock on)
I did try out the phone briefly; if you have excellent eyesight that magnifies great otherwise the screen size is too small to be practical when driving, the area coverage is tiny compared to even a small screen Satnav, unless you're really into must have add-on's don't bother and buy a "proper" Satnav.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

The vanilla N95 wasn't that great for a lot of things, (Vodafone have stopped supplying the handset), but I'm finding the 8GB N95 pretty good. I have mine set up for Assisted GPS, Integrated GPS and Network based. Although it does also support Bluetooth assisted. Although it's got a bigger screen than the vanilla 95, it does support voice directions over the loudspeaker. And there's plenty of third party apps for it, like speed cam warnings etc.
Highlighted
Grafter

I'd still reccomend looking at the HTC devices - I have a HTC Touch, which is fab for me since its nice and small, and I don't send many emails etc. The gaffer has the HTC TyTn II which he loves, this has a slide out keyboard and tilt up screen, which he finds handy for typing messages on the train etc.
We are looking at grabbing a HTC HD to trial too.
They run pocket Windows, and come with office etc installed, 3.5G, GPS, WiFi etc.
Potential Downside for the Touch is the non-upgradeable internal memory, although I've always found 4GB to be more than adequate - on the TyTn II its upgradeable via a micro-SD slot.
Screen resolution on the Touch is around double that of the iPhone too, so you can be assured of decent quality viewing/browsing etc.
For the GPS I just use Google Maps (as the boss does on his too), locks on within a minute or so.
Solves the netbook question for you too...
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 129

@adiewoo,
Having said that I've noticed improvements in both, firmware is up to version 31 now, though that's probably the last one for the N95

My latest available seems to be 21.0.0.016 without debranding. Have you any experience and/or comments on this firmware version ?
Highlighted
Grafter

M<y step Son uses an XDA Mini, Lake District and Hadrians Wall Walks, OS Maps
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
M<y step Son uses an XDA Mini,

Which was made by HTC for O2 - another demonstration of their quality. Grin
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
@adiewoo,
Thanks for that , maybe I'll go look what's available for mine , its an O2 branded one ( with an identity crisis as its got an Orange Sim in it now !) , I think 21 is available without debranding it...

AFAIK the earlier versions of firmware on the N95 were dreadful for GPS.  Later versions were vastly improved...
Highlighted
Grafter

The Current Edition of Computer Shopper Mag has a comparison test of ten Car sat navs from the Navman S23 3d at £75 to the Tom Tom Go 740 at £295,  also on Mitches other query 11 netbooks from Aspire at £260 to Asus NJ10 at £454
Highlighted
Grafter

Now I think about it, both of the main local cab firms use a solution based on XDA (Iii and Orbit I think) for job management and navigation (most of them drive by sat nav) so might look into an HTC device.