cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones with built-in GPS and navigation

techguy
Grafter

Phones with built-in GPS and navigation

Was thinking about getting a phone with built-in sat nav (GPS hardware and nav software) so that I won't need a separate device such as a tomtom.
Can anyone make any recommendations as regards makes and models with good voice quality and the above available (with the ability to turn off AGPS off) SIM-free so that I can use an O2 P&G SIM in it (as I don't use the phone to the extent that would warrant a contract)
24 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Phones with built-in GPS and navigation

Depends on what you want the sat nav for, Car use not very good, Walking - you can get them with full Ord Survey maps - high res and they are good
techguy
Grafter

Sorry Pierre, yes for car use as hope to be driving by year end.
When you say they aren't good, are you talking about signal strength, would I really need a plug in antenna?
Community Veteran

I use my sat nav in the car and it works fine. I have it on my Nokia N73 linked to a bluetooth receiver
I use it here, in Europe, US and Canada.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I've got an N95 and its GPS is hopeless!!. It takes forever to lock onto satellites to get a fix, and you have to be perfectly stationary whilst its doing it!!!
I took a walk down and back to get a paper on Sunday morning, 10 minutes walk each way with the phone in my hand, and the GPS still hadn't locked on when I got back.
I've also got a SatNav for the car ( a ViaMichelin 980 ) and it locks on within a few minutes in the car, even when its just sat on the centre console NOT on its windscreen mount , and even with the car moving.
N95 is not bad at displaying maps though, I've downloaded maps from Microsoft live and stored them on the the phones memory card and just use them offline.
techguy
Grafter

So what I'm understanding here is that the built in GPS hardware on phones isn't all that cracking and so its better to use it with a dedicated piece of kit linked by Bluetooth which I could put in the boot when I left the car and just take the phone with me.
Does it take long to 'lock on' when you start it up Santiago?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Try this site, is is an independent one http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/, a bit down the home page on the LH frame is a list of reviews
one of the reasons for slow acquisition is the chip set, the latest is SIRF 3 which locks quickly and can look at 10 or more Sats, they currently have a Patent problem though see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1379

The Bluetooth bit is smaller than the phone generally
Fixes: 105

Hmmm I think it's the software more than anything, I'm using the Garmin Mobile XT on my N95 and it usually gets a lock in less than a minute.
I have used it for navigation and it's fine.
Also use google maps for when I'm walking around and that is pretty good too.
Quote from: MisterW
I've got an N95 and its GPS is hopeless!!. It takes forever to lock onto satellites to get a fix, and you have to be perfectly stationary whilst its doing it!!!
I took a walk down and back to get a paper on Sunday morning, 10 minutes walk each way with the phone in my hand, and the GPS still hadn't locked on when I got back.

Have you updated your firmware? It has got a lot better in the later firmwares.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Quote from: techguy
Does it take long to 'lock on' when you start it up Santiago?

About a minute from cold. Mine is the old Tomtom receiver, paid £20 of Ebay.
It about half the size of my phone and I sit it on the dash in when in use.
I have to say you need to do your sums with this and figure out what is best for you.
By the time you buy a suitable phone, a receiver and the software It would be cheaper to buy a Tom tom satnav system and a lot less messing around.
The reason I put in my phone is so when I am travelling it is less kit to carry round.
Community Veteran

@adiewoo,
Have you updated your firmware? It has got a lot better in the later firmwares.

Is that using Network Assisted GPS or simple on phone GPS ?
My firmware is quite old 12.x.x.x  but I'm of the 'if it aint broke dont fix it' school of engineers.
I didnt think that a firmware update would help as I thought 12.x.x.x already had A-Gps but I cant use it as I dont have a 3g contract.
I'm afraid my N95 is only a cast off from my daughter when she upgraded her phone.

That said, I'm off to Portugal later in the year and was looking at the possibility of using the N95 as an HSDPA modem with my laptop. I can get a mobile broadband HSDPA  sim for about 15 euros which gives 400mb download limit over a period of up to 12 days ( and some free wifi ). So if I do that maybe I'll give the A-Gps a go as well !

I know what you mean about not upgrading if it's working..
Having said that I've noticed improvements in both, firmware is up to version 31 now, though that's probably the last one for the N95
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@adiewoo,
Thanks for that , maybe I'll go look what's available for mine , its an O2 branded one ( with an identity crisis as its got an Orange Sim in it now !) , I think 21 is available without debranding it...
techguy
Grafter

Would be interested to know if the fast lock on was AGPS assisted or not as I'd raher avoid that because data charges on O2 are a tad high.
The reason I want it on the phone is for the same reason as you do Santiago as like most I carry a mobile and don't mind another smallish device to stick in the bag when I leave the car but would preferably get a inconspiuous receiver I could chuck in the boot for security and just carry the phone.

WIth the Garmin it doesn't use the AGPS, but obviously it is a cost of about 60 from the Garmin website
Will Moderate For Thanks
techguy
Grafter

Cheers for all the responses.
I'll have a look.
It looks like I'd be better getting a Nokia phone then to do what I want to do (currently have a Sony Ericsson K800i)