Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones out for two weeks.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Phones out for two weeks.

Bad news for some in Northumberland.
This crime should attach a penalty reflecting the inconvenience to those affected.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
6 REPLIES
Ellis
Grafter

Re: Phones out for two weeks.

Whatever happened to ABC alarms, you know, the alarm system which if the cable was cut, immediately raised the alarm in the controlling exchange or Police Station. Seems that would be the way to protect the cables.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

They also took out the Village of Bicnacre, just south of Chelmsford this weekend.
and Northampton  http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/village_telephone_cables_stolen_for_third_time_in_two_w...
Not content with that, they took out an  Electric substation near Cambridge
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Ellis
Whatever happened to ABC alarms, you know, the alarm system which if the cable was cut, immediately raised the alarm in the controlling exchange or Police Station. Seems that would be the way to protect the cables.

Don't think ABC exist any more. But if you mean Redcare how will it work? You need terminating equipment on the end of the line so which subscriber will be selected? When the alarm goes off the police will go to the subscriber house and the cable theft could be miles away.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the news report I saw - I think Look East on Frriday, said dont worry, we can identify the cable, it has been sprayed with smart water
Ha Bl---dy Ha
they shortly after stealing it, put it on a bonfire and burn off the outer cover, I had to call out the fire brigade llast year to one bonfire that was still burning minus the copper
itsme
Grafter

I can never understand why they steal telephone cable as most of it is insulation and the price of the copper is heavily reduced if you burn the insulation off. Power cable on the other hand I can understand as it is worth stripping manually to receive the higher price for the copper.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Will residential users get any compensation from BT in line with the number of days they are without a phone line ?
I Accept it's not BT's fault this happened but I think I am correct in stating that the Gas, Water & Electricity companies pay a nominal fee for every day a supply is cut off ?