cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones in local restaurants

ffox
Pro

Phones in local restaurants

We are recently back from touring mid-Wales (the bit between Pembrokeshire and Snowdonia) and noticed that very few people there used their mobile phones when eating out.  It was a breath of fresh air, because here in Cambridgeshire nearly everyone under the age of 75 has their phone on the table beside them and checks the phone regularly. Some spend most of the time using it.  (Not so older pensioners who either have better manners or can't work a mobile phone.)

What's it like in your part of the world?

17 REPLIES 17
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Phones in local restaurants

A possible reason,    the coverage is not so good in many parts of Wales.... Cry

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Does the mobile network extend to mid-Wales ?

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@ffox wrote:

We are recently back from touring mid-Wales (the bit between Pembrokeshire and Snowdonia) and noticed that very few people there used their mobile phones when eating out.  It was a breath of fresh air, because here in Cambridgeshire nearly everyone under the age of 75 has their phone on the table beside them and checks the phone regularly. Some spend most of the time using it.  (Not so older pensioners who either have better manners or can't work a mobile phone.)

What's it like in your part of the world?

I'm sure thats how some people communicate to each other even if they are sitting at the same table..

There are a lot of students in this area and it very rare not to see one using a mobile or listening to music via a ear piece or headphones.

Irrespective of age stand near any busy crossroads in this area and you are certain to see more than one driver using a mobile.

I suspect some young folk may even keep the mobile switched on during the night in case they miss anything.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Mobile phone / smart phone addiction is a real and well researched illness.  People do leave phones on 24/7 because they are scared they might miss something and looking at phone screens after 9pm blamed for the insomnia epidemic we currently have.  Many people suffering from information overload these days, very sad.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Post 9pm I assumed everyone on this forum had gone to bed.......

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I guess they are just more polite and less insular that the English.

*ducks behind settee* Wink

It certainly seems a national trait when it comes to mobile phones and as an Englisman living in (south west) Wales I must endorse the experience of @ffox here and youngsters apart - who are glued to their phones but less likely to be seen on their own in restaurants than the older generation anyway, folks seem more inclined to have them turned off and out of sight. 

Not so many of the hipster type guys around and those that do venture away from home for a 'holiday in the rurals',don the shorts and ditch the mobile? 

As for coverage mentiond by @shutter - never found it a problem with a mobile phone, although back in the day when bleepers were all the rage (and yes, I had one) the poor coverage we did experience especially in mid Wales was excused by BT saying 'it was not cheap to beep sheep'... or so I was told. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@ffox wrote:and noticed that very few people there used their mobile phones when eating out.  It was a breath of fresh air, because here in Cambridgeshire nearly everyone under the age of 75 has their phone on the table beside them and checks the phone regularly. Some spend most of the time using it. 

I'm not really a major phone user but if I'm out with people, my phone is very rarely in sight. To me, if someone is on their mobile phone more that enjoying the company of people they are with, they really aren't worth bothering with. There is nothing on my phone that takes priority over real world living. As for using it all the time and unable to let go. Sad people, really sad people.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Indeed @idonno but is it not now just and extension of travelling in our cars or sat at home watching television. The Mrs and self try to get out for walks as often as we can, and even take the bus into town rather than that car. 

Point taken though and yes, it is sad. Sad

Minesapint
Pro

I'd answer here, but I'm too busy with my phone following something on FB.

Must say that I can see a certain irony in people complaining about mobile phone use on a forum that basically about internet access and phones. Smiley

Not that I don't agree mind you!

TTman
Seasoned Champion

Just going out for a meal so will report laterSmiley

shutter
Community Veteran

@TTman Hope you took your phone with you, in case we need to tell you about an important something or other, that will be life changing, if you don`t hear about it, immediately.........  Undecided

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Just make sure it's not a meal in McDonald's as I can guarantee at least 90% will be on their phones. 

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@shutter  If the world ends while Im out then sorry wont report backLaugh

shutter
Community Veteran

@TTman   you daft ha`peth..... if t` world ends, you`ll ave nowt to report back to ! ! !  ...Roll_eyes