cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones are us!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Phones are us!

I'm after some advice guy's...I suspect I can find some more techy information about this in other forums. But what I want is some down-to-earth practical advice, that's why I posted this in chit-chat.
For a while now I've been toying with the idea of moving from BT to PlusNet for my land-line phone. We've broadband with PN (PayAsYouGo) We don't use the home phone much, our bills hardly ever exceed £30 or dip under £20 except around Christmas time with some family international calls (in the BT friends and family list) most of the bill is made up of line charges rather than call costs.
We do have though:
Call Waiting
Call Divert
Caller ID
Ringback
Which no doubt add to the charges, non of them are used very often, its just nice to have them when they're needed.
So what I'd like to know guy's is, what if any advantage would we have from changing from BT, given our fairly low usage. In words of one syllable please. Would the phone instrument need to be changed? we're very happy with the Panasonic we've got.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Phones are us!

Other than a direct price comparison with all the bits you want included the only things I would check are -
Are you going to be affected by the change in off-peak periods with BT or are you on Anytime
Do the international calls come under the included destinations from Plusnet - that could be a big advantage
The big advantage I found was when I had a line fault (the broadband and phone faults sections worked well together to more or less fix it
You would still get a better response in the Home Phone Section but as you want to leave it here I won't move it
hadden
Grafter

What swung it for me (2 years ago) was one too many wasted "conversation" attempts with a BT call centre.
The last one didn't understand what the "@" symbol was in my email address, however they did let me know the word in Hindi that I should have used... Shocked
itsme
Grafter

The Hindi pronunciation of @ is English 'at'  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: Petlew
We do have though:
Call Waiting
Call Divert
Caller ID
Ringback

Do you USE any of these? Caller ID can be free on BT if you sign up for the free privacy package, and isn't ringback standard and charged if you use it (i.e. per use?)
I am with BT and only have Caller ID *free version*, and my quarterly bills are usually <£40, when my free eve & w/e yearly contract came due for renewal I phoned to cancel and migrate and was offered a £36 discount if I stayed for another year (see my thread in here somewhere).
Unless you feel that it would be a better deal then I would stay put  Embarrassed (For me it came down to money, and at £4/month CHEAPER I staid with BT, it helps pay for my Unlimited BB Cool)
itsme
Grafter

Is not the £36 upfront rebate to pay for the Free evenings and weekend calls for the next 12 months at £2.99 per month?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

No you still get the £2.99/month AS WELL, I double checked when I was on the phone, FREE eve & w/e and £8.54/month line rental. (equivalent with the £36 rebate)
Community Veteran

stick with what you have.  ok, bt is not the best company in the world, some of their practises may be less than savoury and their customer service is dire.  nevertheless and notwithstanding, any change is disruptive and working on the maxim 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' you will thus avoid the painful loss of connection suffered by those who have been tempted down this less than flower-strewn path.
ask yourself what the point might be of sourcing from plusnet?  you're merely adding an intermediary to the link.  all it amounts to is a change of accounting.  you won't get any better service.  how can you?
furthermore, plusnet are not able to offer some of the facilities that come with bt and they charge for others.  the differential in price is negligble.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Do you USE any of these?

Admittedly not often. Use ringback only if other party is engaged, was going to drop that, but Mrs Petlew needs to ring doctors surgery periodically, which always seems to be busy, then its quite useful. Use divert when on holiday to divert to my mobile phone (not especially cheap, particularly when daughter in New Zealand chooses to call when we're away!!) But never seem to remember the keystrokes for opening or closing it!!
Not sure about Waiting and ID, you might be right, but did notice they're not free with PN, but there is a 4 feature package.
Thanks for you're advice guy's, still thinking about it...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Another concern with Plusnet is their billing problems which, in my experience, are far more prevalent with Home Phone than they are with broadband. (The poll to which I've linked also seems to bear that out if you consider that there'll be far fewer Home Phone customers than broadband ones.)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Message deleted. I confused BT's Friends & Family Overseas with BT's Friends & Family International.
Fixes: 104

I've looked at swapping a few times and have always ended up staying with BT, savings would be miniscule and with the above issues that Be3G mentions it just seems sensible to stay put.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I'm off out for the afternoon now. But I'm intrigued to see so much negative comment for PN (phones) I've probably been swayed to stay where I am. I really expected to be inundated with members singing the praises.
Thanks again guy's.

Community Veteran

You're welcome.
By the way Petlew, the moderators have had a bit of a discussion and, once this thread has concluded, we're going to move it over to the Home Phone board as that's where it really belongs. Whilst we understand your reasoning for posting here, it'd be appreciated if you could use the dedicated boards for queries such as this, not least because it means that if someone has a similar query to you in the future, they'll be able to find your thread more easily. (Remember that whenever someone posts something on a forum, that person is also effectively adding to a massive support library, so things need to be filed in the right place). Don't be scared of using the more ‘techy’ boards – as long as you make it clear what kind of support you need, people will happily adapt accordingly, and the likelihood is that you'll also find people more knowledgeable about that specific subject too. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

An interesting thread, I've considered switching to PN home phone, but BT cover me right to (and including) the handset (the handset is BT supplied), its the way they have always done it (I've still got the original phone in the garage, one of those black bakeright jobs, before the dial type). BT have replaced the receiver several time (and replaced the cradle).....but its still the same broom  Cheesy
Seriously though, think PN and other non BT suppliers only maintain to the master socket. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)