cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone woe's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Phone woe's

Some Plusnet User Group users may have already seen this, its a slightly edited copy/paste from there to get a wider audience.
A week or so ago I upgraded (free on my account) my mobile phone (the service provider's name is withheld as they are completely blameless in this little scenario) from a two year old Sony Ericsson C902, to a new all singing all dancing top of the SE range X10. This "phone" has the graphic capability to put Microsoft to shame and a more powerful camera than my DSLR Pentax *Ist D2 embedded in it, allegedly a direct competitor to the much vaunted Apple iPhone.
It looks wonderful in its sleek black (rather large) case with a huge touch screen. The graphics are indeed superb. But sadly there my praise ends...
This is a device devised by the devil incarnate himself. The touch screen is so sensitive it is almost impossible to hold any given screen in place unless you are sitting absolutely still in your favourite armchair, attempting to use it while walking or god forbid driving or sitting in a moving vehicle on anything but an ice smooth surface is almost impossible.

The touch screen will not react to anything other than human fingers tips, I have tried a number of stylo types (including rubber tipped) without success, I guess there is a reason for this, which mean when trying to use the keyboard with large fingertips in the tiny board it produces anything but the required letter or symbol making typing a tiresome repetitive experience. It is ridiculously easy to delete an entire mail or message, I know I've done it with consummate ease.
But above all else it is a shocking phone. the ringtone volume is hardly audible if in anything but a silent room, the vibrate is undetectable, the earpiece volume is far too low even when switched to maximum, and those I call are constantly asking me to speak up as they can't hear me. That's even when the annoyingly placed case mounted incredibly sensitive volume buttons are assiduously avoided.

I have spoken to my service provider, but it seems that I am locked into this contract for two years but, it seems on their "advice" I could get quite a good price for it by selling it privately.
Anybody (seriously) wanna buy a Sony Ericsson X10?

Edit: I did have an interested party but, this came to nothing. I was surprised that after a review like this I got any interest at all. However from reading other tests and reviews of the X10, it seems I am probably in a minority of one.
As a normally happy technophobe, I fail to see the point of this "phone" It seems to me yet another case of the technology has been invented, now it must be sold at all costs whether its any good or not.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Phone woe's

PS. Before there are any comments of cross or duplicated posting. It was an (un-named) moderator who suggested moving it here.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
SRD
Grafter

I think I remember reading or hearing that some people have problems with capacitive touch screens due to their own static charge but I can't find it now.
Fixes: 104

The capacative touch screen works well for me, the phone does have very good reviews.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

My daughter has a problem using my iPhone (thank goodness) as she has long nails.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
David_W
Rising Star

I'd suggest the phone is faulty and send it away to be fixed, you could just have a duff one.  The touch screen won't work with anything other than a finger though no, same as my iPhone, it'll only work with a finger, not a stylus, shame really as sometimes a stylus offers greater control, especially with painting apps.
Community Veteran

As far as the (typing) "keyboard" is concerned, Sony Ericsson must have realised the size issue I think. As the phone dialling "keypad" is quite the biggest I've seen, taking up most of the screen. No mis-dials there.

Community Veteran

Quote from: David
I'd suggest the phone is faulty and send it away to be fixed, you could just have a duff one.  The touch screen won't work with anything other than a finger though no, same as my iPhone, it'll only work with a finger, not a stylus, shame really as sometimes a stylus offers greater control, especially with painting apps.

Styli compatible with capacitive touch screens such as those on the iPhone are available, although obviously there's no storage silo on the phone for them so they might get lost quite easily.
Denzil
Grafter

So does anybody use a mobile phone to actually talk to people any more? Grin
Fixes: 104

Talk? Are you mad? Crazy
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@Denzil...er! yes. I realise its a dying art but, I actually quite like talking to people in language that isn't interspersed with text-speak or poor punctuation.
And probably thereby hangs the reason why I don't like the X10, since its such a lousy phone.