cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone question...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Phone question...

Fairly soon I am up for a new phone on my mobile phone account. During one of those (annoying) "how are we doing" calls from my provider; I asked what's good nowadays?
I don't particularly want a smart phone, I neither want or use the myriad of facilities and aps available. What I want is to make phone calls...surprising it seems these day's. To send an occasional text and check any incoming email. At idle moments I'm occasionally tempted to play solitaire on the one I have, but its not essential. However it is becoming increasingly difficult to find anything but a smart phone these day's so I guess I will be stuck with one.
I had a very bad experience with a Sony Ericsson X10 a while ago. My provider's dogsbody said HTC were pretty good, do you have any comments? Reading positive user comments I am tempted towards the SE X10's replacement Experia Ray.
Is my provider "pushing" HTC for their own reasons or are they as good as he says?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Phone question...

Do you "Have To" change your phone?
If you are "happy" with the one you are currently using, then "WHY" do you need to change it?
I have a PAYG phone, that does just what you want to do... make and receive phone calls, and occ text message.... it`s got a few games on it, but I never bother with them.
(cost me £15 at Tesco`s 3 years ago)....
Community Veteran

Shutter is right, you could go for a SIM only deal. All the companies do them from 10 Pounds a month.  I had one from O2 before I got my present phone.
If you are going to buy a new phone have a look at the Samsung Galaxy S2.  I got one a few months ago from O2 and am very pleased with it.  Very good reviews.
Fixes: 47

The Experia Ray gives you Facebook and Twitter integration along with built in GPS navigation using Google Maps. HD Video recording, web browsing and FM radio.
With Google Latitude you can track the movements of your friends and they yours so you each always knows where the other is located.
And of course you have access to Android Market with thousands of useful apps, many free.
However if all you really want to do is talk and text then all of the above is irrelevant and you might as well stick with what you have as shutter says.
The problem with all the above hi-tech is that once you have it and find out how to use it you wonder how you managed without it and the road back is a difficult one. Undecided
I have all the above and more and use it daily now.....but that's me Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

K.I.S.S.    or  ..... "If it ain`t broke......... why try to fix it? "  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

One I would def not recommend would be the Erickson Xperia X10 or the X10 Mini, a local business has bought a few for their staff, all have been returned at least once with faults (One side of the touch screen fails), as they replicate 'contacts' over all phones, there always having issues with updating contacts.
jmd
Grafter

Well I decided a few weeks ago to get a new mobile phone - I got the Sony Ericsson Experia Arc.  Great camera [8mp], nice to get email, play angry birds etc but I could not hear the caller [I am hard of hearing!] even though the reviews said the sound was good.  So I returned it to O2 within the 14 days period.  I decided it may be as well to have a smartphone that can do all sorts of things but it was not much use if the real reason for it was that I could not hear if I made or received a call on it.
So investigated on internet and found basic phones for those with hearing difficulties.  However, whereas your "normal" basic phone is about £30 PAYGO these were all much more expensive.  I found one that had good reviews with a basic camera [3mp] and so looked for best price.  It is a Doro PhoneEasy 615 [http://www.doro.co.uk/products/Mobile-phones-and-accessories/PE615/] and from the Doro website found a retailer that had them at a cheaper price plus the fact I could get  VAT exemption [due to being registered partially deaf] so my fairly basic phone cost me over hundred pounds.  It is good though for calls but camera not brilliant.
I am using a Talkmobile SIM card.
So if you need a phone and have hearing problems I would  not recommend a smartphone - look for something designed for your needs.
My previous phone was also PAYGO and was a basic samsung but needed charging every few hours even when did not use it, sound was not sufficient for me so that is why I changed]
Fixes: 47

My phone is an HTC Sensation and is the first phone I have ever owned that spends more time out of my pocket than in it.
The reason for this is that it spends a lot of it's time on the end of a wire charging as the battery life is poor.
This is as a result of all that technology running inside, connecting to the internet and updating various apps such as current location, mail, Facebook etc.
It costs power to keep up to date these days and that's one of the downsides of smart phones.
I shall definitely be looking at upgrading the battery soon.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

From personal experience, HTC I found the camera and sound not so good as other brands. Xperia x10 mini I actually liked (probably because I don't use it for internet surfing so small works for me.
Interestingly the trend on ebay seems to be that good classic high spec non-smart phones seem to be getting a much better price lately.
So it's not only yourself that's looking for a good non-smart phone.
A lot of complaints directed at various smart phones are really quirks of the operating systems not the phone.
Fixes: 123

My experience with Sony Ericsson was the Vivaz. A nice phone but battery was terrible and the system crashed often. If the battery was left to run right down (which happened frequently when I was out) it would not power up until it was charged at least 50% and, even then, often had to take the battery out for up to an hour. Sony Ericsson were aware of this problem but no support or resolution was offered.
I now have an HTC Wildfire. Excellent phone (except for the low resolution screen). I have found it to be reliable and fun to use.
As billnot ben says, the issues are quirks of the OS rather than the phone. I know several people who have HTCs and are very happy with them. My contract is up for renewal in December and I am seriously considering the Sensation or the Desire HD. Most likely the latter.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I'm sure one of the reasons some of the early SE phones are still very popular, particularly the w810i, is that it is easy to alter the phones firmware.
Not surprisingly one of the often done things is to change the ear speaker driver to make it much louder.
Since the health and safety brigade poked their oar in, ear speaker volume is one of the most commonly heard complaints against modern phones.
Ellis
Grafter

I still use a couple of old Nokia basic phones, no camera, just text and talk. I use an ASDA sim card on PAYG. Haven't topped it up for nearly a year.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've got a Samsung Solid Immerse - rugged, fairly waterproof, easy to use and fairly basic.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

My Samsung is the first one of theirs that I've owned and I am pleased with it.  Does all I want and more besides.  In one review the Galaxy S2 was listed as the smartphone that sets the standard others will be judged by.  Well worth a look.  I got 300 minutes, unlimited texts and a data package ( can't remember how much) and that costs me £24 per month.
nadger
Rising Star

Definitely recommend one of these  Smiley