cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls from legit callers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Phone calls from legit callers

With the current state of spam calls why do legit callers not identify them selves first but ask can I speak to and only then identify them selves once you ask who they are.
I am xxxx from xxxx can I speak to xxxx, so much easier when I get numerous calls from PPI callers and lately solar panel sellers, Identify your self first
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Phone calls from legit callers

Just say xxxx is unavailable at present, whom am I speaking to.
Fixes: 125

Years ago I, and just about anyone else I knew, answered by quoting our own number (usually just the subscriber part - last four digits in London).
For so long now I have always answered by saying "hello". I then never say anything else until the dialler replies. If there is silence I won't say anything else. After around 15 seconds I'll hang up.
If they ask for me either by first or surname I ask who's calling before announcing it's me they're talking to or if it's a cold call or a complany I don't want business with I just tell them xxx is out and then hang up.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I always simply answer 'Hi' and wait for a response.  Sales callers don't get far with me Wink
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

yer they never say where they are from... ive had 4 callers today ....
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Phone rings and I answer with a simple "Hello" and then just wait for a reply (as stated above). If nothing is heard I hang up with no further speach. If there is a reply I just ask who they are. The calls are usually for one of three previous names on this number so I just hang up.
I also designed my own switch board with button options using teleflow to filter out these calls but unfortunately found out afterwards that it only supports certain hardware designed for digital connections  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Sprite
Phone rings and I answer with a simple "Hello"

So do I, and I think most people do. Funny how society has changed, and we now have to answer the phone in a guarded manner.  Sad
If the call is an unwelcome one, I say "Please hold, putting you through now...", press 'Internal' on the cordless handset to send 'Greensleeves' to line, then clear it after a few minutes.
Maybe just coincidence, but the number of spam calls seems to be slowly diminishing.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C

Funny how society has changed, and we now have to answer the phone in a guarded manner.   Sad

Certainly is and its also a bit weird how complacent Ofcom etc are with it all. Our number is on the TPS and we still get numerous calls each week and when you mention the TPS to them they don't care and just continue with their sales blurb. Extremely irritating.
I hung up on one last week - put the phone down, then decided to make a call. Picked up the phone, their automatic thing was still there talking and holding the line hostage. I opted to speak to someone and gave them a right rollocking!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Instead of 'Hello' try answering the phone with  "Salam Alaykum"  or "Ni Hao" both  seem to stop cold callers in there tracks, Legitimate callers normally launch into 'this is xyz can I speak to abc'.
Javert
Grafter

I’m unimpressed with calls from companies who do not identify what company they are calling from. I ask what it’s about - and then reply, “Sorry he’s out,” and put the phone down.
However, a few days ago I had a call from Scottish Energy, in response to a letter I had sent them. The caller simply said: “I’m calling from Scottish Energy, my name’s Rory, and it’s about the letter you sent to us. Could I confirm that I’m speaking to Mr . . . ?”  I had enough information to happily continue with the call.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

Instead of 'Hello' try answering the phone with  "Salam Alaykum"  or "Ni Hao" both  seem to stop cold callers in there tracks, Legitimate callers normally launch into 'this is xyz can I speak to abc'.

LOL!
jmd
Grafter

Caller display on my phone is very useful as I can see who is calling before I answer!  If it is "out of area" it usually someone who is trying to cold call.  If they give number and it is a sales call, even though have TPS, I can block that number from ringing again.
Community Veteran

Caller ID is useful but limited.  A lot of sales calls originate from abroad and caller ID doesn't work.  If you get regular calls from friends abroad you have no option but to answer.