Did you mean: 

Phone calls database considered

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
Ministers are to consider plans for a database of electronic information holding details of every phone call and e-mail sent in the UK, it has emerged.
The plans, reported in the Times, are at an early stage and may be included in the draft Communications Bill later this year, the Home Office confirmed.
A Home Office spokesman said the data is a "crucial tool" for protecting national security and preventing crime. Ministers have not seen the plans which were drawn up by Home Office officials.

16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Phone calls database considered

Whilst I'm no fan of this government, they consider lots of things that get no further than that, I like to think that this is one of those. Should it ever happen, the telephone company that refuses to participate (and of course those companies will have to "collude" in this presumably) will make a multi-fortune overnight or move it's operations "off-shore" where presumably it wouldn't be subject the rules, or have BT got such a strangle-hold on the lines that this wouldn't be possible?
I can think of 3 reasons why it probably won't happen:
1, Cost
2, Cost
3, Cost
Not to mention:
4, Security ha ha
5, The government that introduces it can look forward to losing the next election
I'd be intrigued to know exactly how collecting the data of every phone call made and email sent will be an anti-terrorism device. Someone somewhere will have to monitor all this data, even after it's been electronically filtered.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
carrot63
Grafter

I'd like to think it was a case of thinking out loud, but history suggests that any audible musings by this government on "security" tend to become (badly written) law very quickly and at any price.
1,2,3.) They are in the process of implementing the part of the European Union's Data Retention Directive that requires ISPs and telecom providers to keep records of phone and internet activity for 12 months, with Police and security services given direct access to this via ISP installed equipment. The ISPs have to foot the bill for this so your 1, 2 + 3 for such a databse might just be passed on to ISPs once more and thence to customers. Delightfully joined up government reminicent of Terry Gilliam's "Brazil", where Mr Tuttle/Buttle is billed for his own arrest for 'terrorism'.
Business is not exactly noted as an outspoken champion of privacy or human rights, and in any case a company that fails to 'collude' with any new law would doubtless be pursued with more zealotry than if they had merely trampled on their customers for years.
4.) The government has a seriously thick skin when it comes to data security failures, so I expect your number 4 will be a formality, with any accidents regarded as someone elses problem.
5.) As to politics, there's more chance of Tiscali delivering decent customer service than Labour winning the next election; they know it, so like the pre '97 tories, they'll be stuffing the next couple of years with every whimsical piece of regressive/repressive legislation their crack team of paranoid and embittered six year old control freaks can come up with.
But then, if you've nothing to hide, you have, of course, nothing to fear...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: carrot63

I was responding to the linked article. But in fact you have voiced my sentiments exactly. But it doesn't mean I actually like the idea of being overlooked in everything I write and say, even Cold War Communist Russia never got that far (mind you the technology wasn't entirely available then)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: carrot63

Yes, of course.  Tell that to the HMRC office that posted two innocuous CDs containing lots of personally identifiable information on millions of UK parents. I'm sure they 'have nothing to hide' and the fact their bank details and identification information are potentially in the hands of criminals cause them no worries at all.
I often see this quote dragged up in discussions such as these.  It's not that I have anything to hide.  It's that I don't want my information being held in potentially insecure databases which could pose a privacy and security risk to myself.
B.
Fixes: 104

So that carrot63 I'm assuming that you will be posting your National Insurance number, your banks username for telephone banking and random password digits?
Because these are things that will be logged, how many phone calls to you bank before someone has all your details?
Will Moderate For Thanks
carrot63
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Yes, of course.  Tell that to the HMRC office that posted two innocuous CDs containing lots of personally identifiable information on millions of UK parents. I'm sure they 'have nothing to hide' and the fact their bank details and identification information are potentially in the hands of criminals cause them no worries at all.

Sorry, my dripping sarcasm evidently doesnt come over very well without the vocals.
I actually find this one of the most odious sentences ever to see the light of day. Anyone regurgitating it seriously must have missed the bit in history classes when they covered Europe from 1933-45. But I note happily that the number of those prepared to deploy it as a reasonable argument for the actions of this government has shrunk dramatically with every half-baked piece of legislation.
Community Veteran

Pfew - at least we're talking the same language then Smiley
B.
carrot63
Grafter

Definitely! Smiley
geewizz
Grafter

I always put sarcasm in italics
paulby
Grafter

Which is all very well with a "benign" government.  The trouble with the "If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" mantra is when the list of things that need to be "hidden" grows till it's something that affects you.
All it takes is someone at the helm with a different agenda once all the "snooping" measures are in place.
Fixes: 47

Is this the 'database the size of a small country' syndrome again Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
geewizz
Grafter

The only reason anyone needs all this data is to produce statistics for the media to publish. 12% of all noise pollution stems from number crunching.
pd
Grafter

I wonder if they'll get Free World Dial-up to comply?