cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone bills up by 6.5%

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Phone bills up by 6.5%

There's a BBC report that BT are planning to increase the phone bills by 6.5% from December. I guess this will filter through PN too.
This continual increase of prices way above the rate of inflation is really not acceptable  I guess it's the price the general public are paying for BT trying to muscle in on "sport" broadcasting.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,346
Thanks: 609
Registered: 23-09-2010

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

Quote from: AlaricAdair
I guess it's the price the general public are paying for BT trying to muscle in on "sport" broadcasting.

Surely not, I mean that comes free doesn't it. Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,674
Thanks: 109
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

or its the case that since the govt refused to pay for the fibre roll out BT are intending to pre fund a lot of those costs and continue to grow going forwards so they can repay those foreign investors who are stumping up the cash ...... as normal short-sighted political stupidity in waste minster is screwing the country, they should have reprivatized all those former state infrastructure companies just like every other country in the EU has been doing once the whole average user affordability problem was known !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

Which foreign companies have been investing in the UK NGA rollout?
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,551
Thanks: 195
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

I was wondering what PN would be doing with their charges Undecided
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,674
Thanks: 109
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

Quote from: AndyH
Which foreign companies have been investing in the UK NGA rollout?

all of the various companies and investment groups around the globe who bought investment bonds sold by BT since 2010, I'm not about to start trawling the bond market holdings list to provide specifics but since BT sold off several billion worth of bonds since 2010 and then injected a large amount of that floating capital into the NGA program its not rocket science to make the leap between one funding the other and there expected returns being a lot lower (given the time frame for returns to be generated) than they had initially forecast resulting in the upcoming price hikes to cover the impending deficit problem.......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,322
Thanks: 467
Fixes: 1
Registered: 21-03-2011

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

Quote from: nanotm
, they should have reprivatized all those former state infrastructure companies ...

I remember the earlier public version of BT (and GPO) where you'd have to wait months before a phone line was installed. This is one service which decidedly improved after privitisation and actual competition in the shape of Mercury Telecoms
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Thanks: 1
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Phone bills up by 6.5%

Quote from: nanotm
all of the various companies and investment groups around the globe who bought investment bonds sold by BT since 2010, I'm not about to start trawling the bond market holdings list to provide specifics but since BT sold off several billion worth of bonds since 2010 and then injected a large amount of that floating capital into the NGA program its not rocket science to make the leap between one funding the other and there expected returns being a lot lower (given the time frame for returns to be generated) than they had initially forecast resulting in the upcoming price hikes to cover the impending deficit problem.......

BT hasn't issued any sterling bonds since 2007.
The Euro/USD issues have been used to refinance existing debt that was either due to mature shortly or that was callable (there will be a high cost saving due to the low interbank rates). Net debt has fallen over the last 5 years (from £10.3bn in FY2009 to £7.0bn in FY2014).
You will find the major source of BT's cash flow over the past 3-4 years has been from their operations - hence they've only gone to the capital markets to refinance existing debt.
Feel free to dig through their accounts.