cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Number 0401

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Phone Number 0401

That number called my landline today. I've got a whole bunch of privacy features and still these calls get through and I cant block that number as its not a phone number. This seems to be happening to me a hell of a lot since TalkTalk got breached I'm almost tempted to call them and get my phone number changed but what's the use.
According to a google search for 0401 its a scam....who would've knew!!
Rant over Angry
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Phone Number 0401

You could change your provider.... get a new sim card.. and a new number... shouldn`t take very long to text all your contacts to tell them your new number... worth the hassle ?  I would if it were happening to me... but I don`t get those calls... I`m with T-mobile... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
That number called my landline today.
Community Veteran

0401!
When I got my first mobile from Cellnet about 20 years ago that was the network number prefix!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Mine was 0402 on Cellnet Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My call blocker http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JG02ZEY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-strip...
Blocks 0401, or at least I assume it does, I got an 0401 call, blocked it, it appears in the blocked list and I haven't had another.
Might just be lucky I suppose.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

00401 would be the Romanian dialling code, its possible your scammer is dialling your from overseas and the first digit isn't showing on your display properly
the area code 0401 specifically is an Australian mobile operator called optus so its possible that your being called by someone using that as the display number via a VOIP service
being a scammer its highly likely that the latter is the problem ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Is a call blocker really worth £60?
I can blcok numbers on my BT handset  Tongue
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Think I will be on the phone to TalkTalk demanding a number change. I knew this was something to do with when they were breached not to long ago as I'm ex directory.
8 Apr 2015
Called by this number at 08.07 this morning 8.4.2015. The caller said he was from Talk Talk and was calling about a problem with my internet connection. He told me to switch on my computer. I DID NOT. The Internet account is not in my name!

8 Apr 2015

Got a call from this number 17.30 today 8.04 2015 . Indian voice said from talktalk re problems with my router. Wanted me to switch on computer and connect to internet. I knew of no problems and suspected a scam. Hung up the phone.
It looks as if the've switched from "Windows" to "Talktalk"  Beware.
Caller: Claimed to be talktalk

14 Apr 2015
I got a call today from 0401 (after calling 1471 to discover). The Indian sounding person on the other end claimed to be from my internet provider and they were ringing to fix my problem with my internet!! I soon realised it was a hoax as i dont have an internet problem or have rung my service provider about one. They asked me to remove virus' from my computer which were harming my internet and to do this I had to press a combination of keys on my keyboard. Im guessing they were going to download something onto my machine. I hung up after that!

Source  http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/0401/2

Edit and this from TalkTalk website
Reporting to TalkTalk:
Received a call claiming to be from TalkTalk? Recently there has been an increase in the number of cases of scammers claiming to be from TalkTalk preying on our customers, and some of them were quoting their TalkTalk account number as well as their phone number.  
After further investigation, we’ve become aware that some limited information we have about some of our customers could have been accessed in violation of our security procedures. More information can be found in the FAQs below.

Please rest assured that your sensitive information of date of birth, bank, or credit card details have not been accessed.

Scammers pretending to work for TalkTalk have called them and asked to download software onto their computers, which they say is to fix problems with their machines or broadband service. Once downloaded, the software allows the scammer to take over the computer.

If you receive a call reporting to be from TalkTalk that you think could be a scam you should end it immediately, even if the caller knows your name or other details. We advise all customers to report this to us so our dedicated fraud team can investigate on your behalf and help protect you and other customers from fraudulent activity.

I cant help but wonder just what else they have of my details Angry
Fixes: 125

Quote from: NorthEasterner
I can blcok numbers on my BT handset  Tongue
NE

I wouldn't pay out for a call blocker.
I was getting a particular 0843 number (ending in 913 IIRC) calling my landline until I realised I could block it on the phone.
Then it started ringing my mobile which it has also now been blocked on.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NorthEasterner

Frankly, there are times when money becomes unimportant for a bit of peace from unending unwanted calls.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I cant help but wonder just what else they have of my details Angry

Or WHO else has your details - they make money by selling them on too.  Angry