Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Calls

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Phone Calls

Prompted by this https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Feedback-request/m-p/1425477#U1425477 , and not wanting to derail the thread, I'd be interested to know how others deal with unsolicited phone calls. My response is already there.

John
10 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Phone Calls

If it seems important then I ask for their name and department and tell them I will ring back on a number I already know or that I can get from their website (never a number they may give me).

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jab1
Seasoned Pro

Makes sense @Mav - but I can't be bothered to answer numbers I don't know - if they really want to talk to me, they can leave a message and I'll call them back on a verified number.

Since adopting my policy of not answering unknown numbers, the volume of unsolicited calls has dropped from >20/week to <10/month - they eventually remove you from lists.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My missus used to answer any call that came her way... consequently, she was inundated with them "dead" calls,  until I told her not to answer ANY phone call unless it showed the name of the caller > i.e. family or doctor or whatever was in her call list..  after about 2 months she hardly gets any..

the only problem with that is, that places like the Hospital, or a hospital department can get missed... some, now, actually send a text message to remind of appointments...  so the very few calls she does get, I put into a google search box and see who it was that called... ( no need to find one of them sites..... just put the number in the google search box)..

That sets her mind at rest, that it is not an important call from Hospital, or that it is, indeed a "dead" call type.

personally, I don`t get any of them... ! .

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Since replacing my phone with two tin cans and a length of string I have had no problems, and no phone bills. Sometimes the most simple solution works the best Wink 

..... now why can't I get online.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Since replacing my phone with two tin cans and a length of string

... but how much did you pay the nice man for your new phone system?  Wink

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One way to get rid of nuisance telesales calls (genuine or scams) is just to say this:

"Look, I'm really desperate for a poo, so unless you want to hear the sounds of my bowels being emptied into the old porcelain tuba, then I'm going to have to end this call here, thanks, goodbye"

Cos nobody (in their right mind at least) wants to listen to someone on the throne... Shocked

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

A better way is to tell them to go away but limit that message to two words.

Minivanman
Hero

Fine, but effectively that's still a theft of your time and beyond irritating as you have to stop and check who is calling?

Said it before, let the fingers do the walking as they used to day, but let a call guardian phone do the answering. Works a treat in our house - 99% of the time anyway.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles- If I don't recognise the number I don't answer - saves my breath Smiley

@Minivanman I just glance at the phone and as above^

John
Minivanman
Hero

You must have good eyesight from the top of the step ladder when decorating.... or whatever else you might be up to Wink