cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing phone call?

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Phishing phone call?

I recently received an evening call from a centre claiming to be acting on behalf of one of the Big Six energy suppliers.
They had my phone number, name and energy supplier correct.
The caller claimed to be from a London centre and wanted to do a survey of my electricity use and my recent change of tariff.
I told the caller that if they were acting on behalf of my energy supplier they would know all about my energy usage - I then (politely) terminated the call.
My energy supplier has been informed and says they are unsure how my information was obtained by this call centre - they do not give out customer information to third parties.
My concern is:
How this call centre obtained my name and number - I am ex-directory and on the Telephone Preference Service.
How the call centre knew my electricity supplier - I don't think it was just a guess.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a similar call.

3 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Phishing phone call?

a few years ago I tried to take out credit through a shop, a week later I started getting deluged by calls like this, they had gained all the information through the CRA searches but the company offering the credit was then selling on all that info to a third party (despite my having opted out of that part of there service) as it turned out this wasn't actually illegal as the company I was attempting ot transact with had incurred a fee and was apparently allowed to sell on information to recover this money ........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Yes, it's a bit disconcerting when you do everything to protect your privacy.
So far I only had the one call - if I get another one from a similar source I shall lead then on a bit in the hope I may find out how they got my details.
I had a pizza in the oven at the time of the call and pizzas don't wait - they are either done or burnt!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The phone phishers worst enemy: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004BTVQ5E/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unlike some of the phones that incorporate a blocker, this one has room for 1000+ numbers, it will also block last number even if the caller has rung off. Like most of the others it does require Cli (caller line identification).
I actually like now getting the caller to put their case at length, and then ask them if they know what a call blocker is and then cut them off...
Very satisfying Smiley.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.