Phillip Green

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Phillip Green

There's a good photo of him doing the rounds on twitter

CoNXkG8WYAA25Ew

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Phillip Green

I understand from the news just now that the media have been gagged again regarding this 'man'.

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Guilty or not, I'm always a little uneasy when trial by media comes into play. Smacks of lynch mobs etc and lets face it, we don't really know the facts. I really cannot see what Hain was trying to achieve. Maybe frustrating a future trial? I'm assuming the judges would have valid legal reasons for the (interim) injunction. It's a minefield. Remember a singer whose house got raided............ That cost a lot of money to sort out. This might end up there too. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The law should apply equally to everyone, irrestective of how much money you may or may not have.

Either we are all entitled to keep the media from reporting on things we might be accused of prior to a trial or no one is entitled to it.

In this case it was simply because he had the money to do it, how many time do we see rich people getting away with things because some clever solicitor has found a loop hole in the law ? Of course the law can be changed but that takes time and it would be impossible to write a law that covered all situations.

Worth bearing in mind we are one of the few countries that have a gagging law like this, the whole thing is a joke.

I recall a instance where the media were subject to a gagging order but papers in America named the person in question.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

I recall a instance where the media were subject to a gagging order but papers in America named the person in question.

The Daily Telegraph could have named him in their Scottish edition if they had wanted to as the law in Scotland is different to that in England.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@gleneagles wrote:

Either we are all entitled to keep the media from reporting on things we might be accused of prior to a trial or no one is entitled to it.

This. Jeremy Clarkson proved it was pointless years ago and eventually named himself.

I can't help but wonder how long it will be until some other high ranking mil / billionaires are named too. To get that far in business you have to have a very determined mindset and those people usually go after anything at any cost - women included - as we keep seeing (eg Trump).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Like many others, I too am not in favour of NDAs, but I am also concerned, that just because a person has been named, even under Parliamentary Privilege, he or she is immediately assumed guilty.

Although from his reported bullying, he is clearly  not a nice man, I am not sure one can jump from that to making him a molester or such without actual proof. Therefore demands that people e.g. Baroness Brady should disassociate from him seem unwarranted, Business and politics has to deal with far worse characters. What Lady Brady does on a personal level is up to her. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Luzern

In the absence of a witness or record of events how do you prove someone is a molester ?

It really comes down to how good the defence team is and you can bet for the money they are on they will be the best in this case.

I feel sorry for any women who have to go into the witness box and be subject to a whole range of personal questions, whilst the accused has a choice of going into the witness box.

I am sure there are some innocent people in jail with a lot more guilty people on the outside.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

In today's Daily Mail Baroness Altmann makes a very clear accusation of bullying. As often happens in such cases once a name is known people come forward to complain.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@gleneagles wrote:

@Luzern

In the absence of a witness or record of events how do you prove someone is a molester ?

It really comes down to how good the defence team is and you can bet for the money they are on they will be the best in this case.

I feel sorry for any women who have to go into the witness box and be subject to a whole range of personal questions, whilst the accused has a choice of going into the witness box.

I am sure there are some innocent people in jail with a lot more guilty people on the outside.

You don't without a trial, and until then assume, whatever one knows of the person that person should be assumed innocent. @gleneagles you write of the defence lawyer for rich personages ability to influence a case. That will never change, but one hopes a jury will be one that's adequate to see through adversarial trickery. I also have a feeling that the fourth estate may help facilitate strong opposition to the defence side.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Hero

Highlighted
Community Veteran

But he now admits to, " Harmless banter".

This means he could say things to female staff knowing full well they could not respond with " harmless banter" in case he took offence and they would be out of a job......who do you complain to if the chap who owns the company is the one you have the complaint against ?

Consider this, if someone made a serious allegation against you, what would you do ? Try and make sure the less people knew about it the better or would you take legal action against them, providing you were innocent, to clear your name.

There is also the question of the number of people making the same or similar allegations against him....perhaps it's a conspiracy ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wonder how customers of his High Street businesses will react to this issue. Much of his retail empire is aimed at the younger generation and they are ones objecting to other famous names via 'me too' and there could be a backlash here too.

Highlighted
Hero

At the age of 66 how many million pounds do you need in order to be set up for life.  I don't think he'd be sleeping rough if all his businesses closed down, or if the profits slumped a little.