cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies

Community Veteran

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies

Philip Seymour Hoffman has died aged 46. A great actor. Very sad.
PSH
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies

He was one of the most accomplished actors of his generation. His film biography is very impressive.
Biography
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Did I hear it was a drug overdose? on tv this morning......
Well..... nuff said....
randpwar
Grafter

Doesn't make it any less sad
PitchBlack
Grafter

I first saw him in Twister, and he definitely stole the show, last night I watched The Hunger Games Catching Fire and was pleased to see him in it. Then I switched the computer on after the movie and was very saddened to see that he had passed, no matter what the circumstances.
Community Veteran

I remember seeing him play a schoolboy in Scent of a Woman. Particularly liked him in Ides of March.
Community Veteran

Quote from: randpwar
Doesn't make it any less sad

No, The sadness is in the fact that this guy, who had, presumably, quite a good intelligence level, and income/lifestyle level, should be so stupid to use dangerous drugs, and so kill himself..
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

whilst its always sad when an accomplished actor dies through substance abuse the truly awful thing about it is the media frenzy, for 2 days every time there is a news bulletin they announce the fact he died, then go into some detail about the circumstances before proclaiming it as being a shock, when the local druggies OD everyone always points out that "well it was only a matter of time" yet when its a famous person its always "so unexpected, such a tragic accident" etc etc
the tragedy is he chose personal indulgence over his family, and all the apologists out there promoting the idea that so long as your a responsible junkie its acceptable, however yet another star has proven that no matter who you are or what you do if your an addict your going to end up dead sooner rather than later ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess we all end up dead sooner or later and there are few of us not addicted to something or other, Tobacco, Alcohol, fast food, prescribed drugs but few of us ever think to stop to think our personal indulgence is more important than the effects on our families.
This sounds like I am supporting the use of illicit drugs which I am certainly not doing but it seems most people need some form of crutch to get through life.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
it seems most people need some form of crutch to get through life.

indeed they do, but for most the point at which a partner says "if you don't get help then get out" the majority do at least attempt to get help very few just walk out
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Well, I have no sympathy for those of the "entertainment" business, who become addicted to hard drugs, or indeed, any drugs.... they have the money to go to places to help them stop using, but think it is "a crutch for their heavy lifestyle".... Aw... c`mon... how much sympathy do they want?  they chose to become " entertainers"... it was their chosen lifestyle, so why should I feel anything for the way they screw it up, and screw up other peoples lives on the way...  serves him right....
Yeah.. it is a tragedy for the family, but again... they probably knew all about it... ... are they not as culpable.... could they not have reported the misuse to the authorities?  or did they think they it would ruin their lifestyle too....
TORPC
Grafter

Those in the entertainment business
Seems to get away with more than us mere mortals would.
Look at the events that lead to the arrests to the CH4's benefit street drug users, sellers etc
Now then
When a recognised hollywood actor / actress etc admits in public
Why are they not arrested
Look at how many has reported themselves going into rehab, then singing and making money out of it ?Huh
Look at our own monarchy where a certain Prince was involved in illegal / illicit drugs
The mind boggles to what the world has become