Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pharmacy farce.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Pharmacy farce.

Pharmacy farce? Seems like it t'me.

Usually get a special cream (don't ask 🙄) from the doctor which is of course free on prescription in this part of the world, but rather than bother and rather than wait gawd knows how many weeks for an appointment, I knew I could by the same stuff from the chemist.

So, Tesco pharmacy here we come as we were in there shopping anyway and blimey o'reilly, they charged me £6 for the stuff. Ah well, it lasts me a good six months to a year but having ran out asked the Mrs to buy some for at the chemist in town earlier. Same stuff, same size.... £4 cheaper.

Lesson learned.

Don't buy from supermarket pharmacies on the assumption that even if easier, it will might well not be cheaper. 

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Pharmacy farce.

@Minivanman wrote:

but rather than bother and rather than wait gawd knows how many weeks for an appointment, I knew I could by the same stuff from the chemist.

Couldn't you just go online and ask for a repeat prescription? Since I signed up for the doctors website, I find it very easy to get repeat prescriptions and if they need to see me, its more often a nurse that deals with such stuff. Any problems while there and off he/she goes to get a doctor.

I must admit we don't seem to have any problems getting an appointment either and certainly don't wait weeks, usually its same or next day at the latest.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

I suppose I could do, never thought of that.

Perhaps next time. 😃

As for waiting weeks, it's pretty much standard where we are. Average average time is at least two, but I have had to wait for a month before now. I could say it was "urgent", bit it hardly if ever is so...

In the meantime, it does not alter the fact that supermarket pharmacies need to be treated with caution.😕

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 107

I've used the online repeat prescription service for a while now. It's great, place the request, see that its been accepted, usually the same or next day. It's sent electronically to my selected pharmacy and its ready the next day.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

I suppose at the back of my mind was the thought of how much the NHS is being charged by whoever for something I now know can be bought for a couple of quid at the chemist.

Always those that will put free over need because they can as of right. 😐

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Many things are presently given on prescription that are pretty cheap to buy over the counter   The NHS is keen to stop this because of the enormous cost involved, mainly I guess with paperwork and beaurocracy.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/1a-over-the-counter-leaflet-v1.pdf

Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman I too order my prescription on line thro evergreen. had to register at the surgery for online account but works well. Also can book appointments on line too usually can get an appointment  within a couple of days unless I want to see a specific doctor then would have to wait until they have a slot available. If urgent then ring and after a doctor rings me back can usually get same day. So a good service.Smiley

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Same here, but last time I checked the online prescription service was not up and running. Time to take another look.

Funny how some surgeries seem to have little or no problem with appointments though. As said I have to wait at least two weeks and sometimes more so unless it's something serious or I get fed up with the Mrs nagging me...

But there you go, this was more about cost of prescriptions rather than waiting times. Thankfully even at my age I very rarely need to see the doctor for anything specific - in fact my last visit was October last for a flu jab! 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That reminds me, need to drop my repeat prescription off at the docs... 🤔

Yes, I still do the old fashioned get off my bottom and walk to the docs to drop off a slip of paper routine & later collecting the happy pills from the chemist later in the week, helps with not becoming a permanent fixture in the house after all... 😋

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Walking distance to the doctors?

Luxury.

When I were a lad....  our doctor was local as well. 😛

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep, it's next to tesco, so not exactly a hard slog, and being in a village there's not much distance to cover... 😂

Getting an appointment though, gotta call at 8:30am on the dot on a Monday morning to have a chance of getting anything, so it ain't perfect, decent doctors though who actually listen to you...

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

My surgery and pharmacy are under 10 minutes away, so it's little trouble getting to them, and duty doctor 5 minute slots are reasonable to come by, and my wife has sometimes phoned in with a problem that needs more and maybe a lady practitioner with not a long wait.

As to buying  from a supermarket, I'm not sure they will always be dearer than elsewhere, that elsewhere including their competitors. Each group, or independent will have done its own supplier deals, and decided what it needs to charge, as it would for all its products.

@Minivanman You've bought the product. Put the product problem behind you. Cheesy

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

No problem for us....if you look in some of our cupboards we have more pills and potions that the local chemist has.....

Yes I know stuff should not be kept but it's someone else in this house who uses the stuff....here is a clue....there are two of us and it's not me....I hate taking any form of medication unless prescribed by the local GP.

And yes I have pointed out time and time again only the minimum amount of stuff should be kept but it falls on deaf ears.

😀

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Well there's the thing, there are items you can buy from the chemist without bothering your GP other than the obvious such as paracetamol and the like - although I have known folks who've even had those prescribed. 

I wonder how many doctors take a deep sigh and say to their patients y'know what, you really can by stuff over the counter for your complaint without coming to see me. 

Cupboard full of stuff? Not so much as I often have a good clear out as the Mrs goes mad overloaded with stuff like Calpol, Mr Men plasters, and sun cream for the grandchildren. Drives me nuts.

Never had so much in the house when we were kids, just a big bottle of medicine for worms and that was it! 😉

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@twocvbloke wrote:  🤔 Yes, I still do the old fashioned get off my bottom and walk to the docs to drop off a slip of paper routine & later collecting the happy pills from the chemist later in the week, helps with not becoming a permanent fixture in the house after all... 😋

5 miles to the doctor's surgery from here. I have walked it but it is a long slog, especially in the depths of winter.

@gleneagles  I would check the use by dates on those medicines, even on such mundane stuff, such as paracetamol. None of them last forever and some are surprisingly short. Even first aid kits have a given life.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?