cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pharmacy RULES - O.K. ! !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Pharmacy RULES - O.K. ! !

Yesterday I put in some prescriptions to the local pharmacy... at about 08:45... saying I would call back later for them....
at about 13:15 I was passing the pharmacy (well ok, I went out of my way to get there, ) on the way home, and called in to pick up the prescriptions.
Two "senior citizen" type shop assistants were there, and when I asked for the prescriptions, they said.... Can`t give them to you, as the pharmacist is at lunch, come back after 13:30.... so I made comments about how rediculous the situation was... and left....
One assumes the pharmacist has to "approve" the giving over of prescribed drugs, by the assistant, calling out, and making the pharmacist aware of what was happening,.....
seems fair enough.....
so I went back about 16:30 and sure enough the pharmacist was in "residence".... however, when I asked for the prescriptions, the assistant just picked up the bag from the shelf, checked my address and that the scripts were signed, and handed them over.... NO reference to the pharmacist, by the assistant... and the pharmicist was, indeed, busy at the back of the shop, presumably dispensing other prescriptions, and did not even turn her head to see ....
makes the original actions of the assistant seem to be a bit " jobs worth".. and pointless.... they could quite easily have given me the prescriptions, and saved me a journey back to the chemist.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Pharmacy RULES - O.K. ! !

Had exactly the same happen a number of times at my local chemie' Since it is a small branch of Boots, it has a number of pharmacists on some sort of obscure rotation rather than one resident. And guess what...they all take their lunch at different times.
I agree it seems odd that staff cannot hand out packed prescribed medicines if the pharmacist is not in the building. I have questioned the usually lovely staff about this, gaining the distinct impression they are as exasperated about it as well, never having got a really coherent answer. One has been if there's a problem the staff are not qualified to change anything (I think it was prevarication) How many check their collections in the shop. I would hazzard most do so when back at home.
Perversely, the branch offers a home delivery service...are they accompanied by a pharmacist I wonder?
Probably someone out there knows why?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Those are the rules and every pharmacy should be following them. Presumably the repercussions would be severe if the rules were broken. However,  I agree they seem ridiculous.
nadger
Rising Star

My monthly prescription order, for stoma supplies, comes by parcel delivery service but doesn't involve tablets.
Albeit my local pharmacy delivers I always collect and have never been told to come back later. I'd have thought that the only requirement was that a qualified pharmacist signed off on completed prescriptions.
David_W
Rising Star

My best guess is that sometimes (and only sometimes) you need the chemist present for information.  For instance, if you had Helio Pylori or whatever it's called and went to pick up your pills when the chemist wasn't there, the cute blonde girl whose number I really should get may not know that one of the pills has severe reaction to alcohol (it's a drug also given to alcoholics so if you drink when taking the pills you will be violently sick).  So you take the drugs home, pop a pill and hit the pub, who would be to blame for not giving you the information you need?
With home delivery, would you need to see the chemist first to get a new tablet added or will they just deliver?  If it's the latter than yep, makes it seem a little bit daft.
nadger
Rising Star

Certainly with my pharmacy instructions are on tablet labels eg Simvastatins say avoid grapefruit juice and dispersible aspirin says take with or after a meal.
I've stopped using my nearest pharmacy, inside well known supermarket, as I have no confidence in them.
itsme
Grafter

I'm not a regular at the pharmacy but when I have used the supermarket ones and they take the prescription and the money and tell me to come back in 15 minutes to be told that they have not got it and come back the next day I ask for my money back. Or they are twiddling their thumbs and I'm still told to come back 15 minutes later I tell them not to bother and take them to the pharmacy near me where I hand my prescription in and given the items immediately.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The Pharmacist should, and ivariably does, put "safety" notes on the packages.  Where these are "repeat" prescriptions, the same safety notes are still put on the packages... and once the pharmacist has "made up" the script, he/she then signs it off on the books, and packages them up for collection... therefore (in theory) his/her responsibility for delivery / collection ends at that point, in the same way as "home delivery" stuff, is handled by the driver, who I am sure is not an out of work pharmacist... !..
Questions are only asked for "over the counter" medicines, by the staff, and the staff have strict instructions to call the pharmacist, on certain makes/brands/types of over the counter stuff, to ensure that the person who is taking/collecting knows the risks involved, and rightly so...
There was absolutely no reason why the shop staff, (who wear white coats to "look the part" ) could not have handed over the ready made up prescription package without the presence of the pharmacist.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The local Sainburys near here has a pharmacy that remains open (for non-prescription products) until shop closing time at 23:00. The shift pharmacist however "knocks off" around 20:00 so here as well prescriptions cannot be collected.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Guess it's a legal thing.
I Had the same problem, pharmacy was open but they could not hand over any previously made up prescriptions as the pharmacist was stuck in traffic, as soon as he walked through the door (even before removing his coat) the assistants started to hand out the prescriptions which had been made up the previous day and were in a sealed bag.
Not sure about your area but some do deliver prescriptions for free, only snag is you have to be in to get them.