cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol or Diesel

Fixes: 47

Petrol or Diesel

I pulled into a filling station 2 days ago and the pump I wanted was occupied so I pulled up behind and waited.
The driver was just about to put some petrol in his car and as I sat and watched he put in about 15 to 20 seconds worth of petrol (I thought it wasn't worth calling in for that much).
He then stopped, replaced the petrol line and took out the diesel line.
The pump wouldn't accept this situation but after a brief conversation the man proceeded to put diesel in his car until it was full.
He then went and paid (an interesting situation for the cashier) and left apparently non the worse for the mix up.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Petrol or Diesel

I wonder if there is a certain percentage mix that you can safely get away with?
I assume a small amount is ok but how much can it go to?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Assuming his tank was almost empty.... he probably put in about 3 ltrs of petrol... and then topped up with diesel for about 30 to 35 ltrs... so his petrol / diesel ratio would be 1:10 ... which, I doubt the engine would complain about too much.... probably give him a bit of a "kick" when he put his foot down... ..... might even have cleaned his injectors a bit, too !...
Would not recommend it, though... much prefer to use Millers Diesel Additive...  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

and left apparently non the worse for the mix up
Initially maybe, but he's going to have damaged the fuel pump, and maybe other parts of the fuel system, unless he's very lucky. Sad
The petrol acts as a solvent and will reduce the lubrication, provide by the diesel fuel, of the fuel pump. May also affect some of the fuel system seals that aren't designed for petrol.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: billnotben

I assume a small amount is ok but how much can it go to?

I think Top Gear did a prog on this... they got a couple of old Fiesta`s , I think,..... one diesel and one petrol... and filled them both up with the wrong fuel.... they both "ran" for quite some time... but I can`t remember the finish line.....  Cheesy
Fixes: 47

I see that people are making the assumption that the car was a diesel.
Rest assured it had TDI on the back.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

My neighbour made this blunder with his peugeot 407 last year. Put £20 yes, TWENTY POUNDS of petrol in the tank, realised his idiocy and then filled the rest up with diesel.
He carried on topping it up every two days to keep the tank full of derv but over a year later and the car is still running sweet.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Common in cold countries to put petrol in diesel vehicles. Accidentally filled my mates car up with petrol in Austria, there was a an addition pump with cheap lower octane petrol which normally would be the diesel option at other forecourts. Noticed the mistake and got talking to a local at the pumps who said that in winter it was common to put up to 20% petrol. Unfortunately we put more than that in so he arranged with guy behind the counter a barrel and pump so we could most of the fuel out.
So after filling up again we reckon there was 5 to 10% petrol mix and my mate reckon the performance was improved. We also reckon the person that help us picked up the barrel as he was baker and use it for his vehicles.
Community Veteran

It used to be a well known antifreeze for diesel years ago to put petrol in the tank. A mixture of about 10% was the norm but upto 25% worked in extreme cold!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
much prefer to use Millers Diesel Additive...  Wink

+1
Fixes: 105

they sell that at halfords, be careful Roll eyes
Will Moderate For Thanks
TORPC
Grafter

Huhh Hmmm, (clears throat)
Half
Halfor
What is it you said Tongue
nadger
Rising Star

Years ago I recall people putting a small amount of petrol in their diesel to stop waxing up in really cold weather.
Apart from spluttering to a halt if one filled a diesel with petrol I was also warned that the injector pump relies on diesel for lubrication and  could seize up.
Community Veteran

Remember the "good old days" when you saved money by mixing in paraffin with your petrol.
Wouldn't be so good today as the pre-packaged paraffin is so much more expensive.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Put £2 of petrol in my cdti once before I realised, filled the rest with diesel and it's been fine since. It was interesting when I went to pay "Is that 2 transactions?..." .. "Erm.. yeah.." the cashier just sorta laughed, she had clearly worked out what I had done Grin