cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol and long journeys

jmd
Grafter

Petrol and long journeys

Now that petrol is costing so much are you reducing the amount of driving you are doing?
I went to a wedding in Co. Durham at weekend and I thought hard and long about invite as it meant paying for hotel overnight as well as petrol.
Anyhow I went and I am glad that I did.  Did a round trip of 255 miles [went A1 via York to Sedgefield and returned on the A19/A1] and just filled up with petrol and have put in 25 litres.  I think that was quite good but not sure how to work out mpg now.  Have a Hyundai X10 [1.1].
Oh, and petrol here costs £1.34.9 - in North Yorks/Co.Durham area saw it at £139.9!
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Petrol and long journeys

It's 1.37.9 here where i am. Had a hospital appointment today in a different town just down a main A road from me and it was 134.9 - a difference of 3p per litre.
I don't know how petrol companies justify these ridiculous prices anyway but wild differences like that are absolutely disgusting.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I've certainly cut my mileage this year but will more than double it when we go to France & Belgium for overnighter next week. Fortunately 90% of mileage will be motorway - M1, M25 & M20 in UK and A16 in France.
Fixes: 121

I used to love driving and would often take SWMBO out for 'spin' but not now.
Taking my mother to London to visit friends later in the week and I'll probably just put in enough for that journey plus an extra few miles.
I used fill up every time now I tend to put between £10 or 10ltrs worth at a time.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

To work out MPG....
Fill tank to brim full............Zero the trip recorder, or note the mileage on the speedo............ drive for about 200 miles...................... fill tank to brim...... on the receipt it will give you the number of litres for this (second) fill up....
Note the mileage and write down on the (second) receipt.... now.... Divide the Ltrs figure by 4.5   which will give the answer in gallons....
Now divide the mileage written down on the (second) receipt, by the number of gallons...... this will give you the MPG....
You cannot do this just by putting in £25 and going on a journey and thinking you have used only £20 or £22 ....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

oh well shutter is rough and ready
to get gallons from litre  divide litres by 4.546 that gives gallons  25/4.546 = 5.4994 galls
take the final milage - the start mileage, that gives distcnce  - 255 miles
MPG = mileage divid by gall = 255/5.4994 = 46.3695
or (255/25)times 4.546
Community Veteran

There`s always one.  Roll eyes  and I knew it would be YOU...  Cheesy
The difference between 4.5 and 4.546 in calculation of MPG is so small, as to be insignificant in the end result....
Your response does not supply the amount of fuel used, between the start mileage and finish mileage..... this can only be obtained by filling the tank, as described in my posting.
(unless of course you have access to some very technical equipment that is not fitted to everyday normal motors).....
we are all well aware of your histrionics regarding testing Ford Transit vans.... unfortunately that information is now no longer relevant to those who do not drive transit vans...  Grin
jmd
Grafter

Whatever way you have of working out mpg I thought I would have done better than 46 miles to gallon on average!  It is supposed to be able to get 56 mpg on long runs according to the reviews I have read. Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

out of interest I want restricted to Transits nor Ford as we tested the opposition as well cars and commercials
Community Veteran

not really interested..... or relevant.... Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nor is your trip to Wales on a derv clunker when Josie has a petrol 1.1
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've changed my driving in response to the cost - I'm driving more gently and slower.
When on motorways I used to aim for around 75mph or so (but NEVER as much as 80) and within 10% of the speed limit on motorways - I was averaging about 52-54mpg.
I'm now sticking to the speed limits and on motorways aiming for 65mph, generally accelerating more gently, trying to anticipate more and am now averaging about 62-64mpg.
What drove it home was the first long trip I did when I tried driving more conservatively - I worked out that over the 300 mile trip I'd saved over £5. I've also noticed that the amount of extra time the journeys are taking is not that noticeable but I am finding them considerably less tiring.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: jelv
.......on motorways aiming for 65mph

Hi Jelv,
does this mean you wear a flat cap & driving gloves?  Does your vehicle have a factory fitted queue behind it?
Joking aside, on the M1 south of Northampton or Milton Keynes you'd be lucky to do 65mph (and you'd get a fine if you did it in the long roadworks section).
'Sensible' driving certainly means you can save money without driving less.  Also keeping typre pressures correct, unloading junk from the boot and such can also help. Don't let the kids open the windows either, the vents should do their job properly.  If you also cut out unnecessary jounrneys (to the corner shop that's 5 minutes walk away for example) you'll save even more and don't forget, use www.petrolprices.com to minimise the cost of the fuel you do use.  This site in particular is always more up to date and accurate than my TomTom Live which has supposedly updated fuel prices, that reminds me, if you do a lot of travelling a decent satnav can also save you journey time and fuel.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 121

Could anyone explain the point of the .9 in the petrol price? I assume it just gives the petrol companies more profit from rounding up Angry
I also note that on the above site some garages have .47 and .97 of a penny Huh

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
Could anyone explain the point of the .9 in the petrol price?

I assume it's precicely that if they're charging you effectively £1.40 per litre they display a price that psychologically makes you think you're paying one-thirty-something.  'The dirty pikies.,'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.