nadger
Rising Star

Petrol & Diesel Prices

I see that there's an e-petition on this subject
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/347
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Petrol & Diesel Prices

There seems to be an e-Petition on every conceivable subject.
31,511 signatures....+1
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Parliament could spend all its time debating e-petitions if its not careful Roll eyes
David_W
Rising Star

I read something about that today, apparently the petrol stations get 2-4p a litre profit, let me see if I can find the link....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14508213
60% of the cost is tax, 10% is transport costs so the remaining 30% goes to the fuel companies which is the bit that the price is based on.  Not sure how that works out though unless the government have a flat rate of tax (i.e. petrol is taxed at a flat rate of 75p/litre + vat) which it probably is.  I'd vote for a temporary removal of VAT from fuel for 12 months though, that 20% reduction may make a major difference to the economy in the long term.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Another 10% is down to delivery charges

That's a very high amount for something deliverd in bulk, but I suppose that's down to the price of the Diesel the tankers use Crazy
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nadger
I see that there's an e-petition on this subject

Does it matter?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If the chancellor wants to give a boost to the economy it would be better to drop the tax on Petrol and Diesel by 30p per litre for a few months rather than another round of quantitive easing.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Strat
There seems to be an e-Petition on every conceivable subject.
Feel free to Sign mine   Grin
Fixes: 47

X-Box owners have a hard enough time playing games without inflicting the intricacies of the BBC iPlayer on them. Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Perhaps someone needs to make a list of essential items like basic food items, fuel,etc and then a list of desirable items like alcohol, cigarettes, etc then double the price on these items and use the money to reduce the cost of the essential items.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Perhaps someone needs to make a list of ... desirable items ... then double the price on these items

To some extend the designer' brands have done just that, look at the prices of Nike trainers and Apple i-Phones BUT many unemployed people who claim that they cannot afford the necessites seem to be able to find the money for such items.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

It's a case of 'want' and 'need'.  You may want a pair of Nike shoes but don't need them.  This is an exercise being gone through in the NHS at present with certain treatments being restricted on a want or need basis.
Community Veteran

Quote from: walker23
Quote from: gleneagles
Perhaps someone needs to make a list of ... desirable items ... then double the price on these items

To some extend the designer' brands have done just that, look at the prices of Nike trainers and Apple i-Phones BUT many unemployed people who claim that they cannot afford the necessites seem to be able to find the money for such items.

See I believe this is a sterotypical view.
How many people who are unemployed on JSA do you know who have afforded such things while being on benefits? - How many do you know by name?
Seems to me that everyone sees a chavy looking person, decides they're unemployed and then declares that all the unemployed can afford these things and then it spreads by word of mouth. The harsh reality is most folks can't. The few that may have them may of got a small tax rebate, given to them for birthday / xmas.. etc but every judgemental so and so goes OTT with jealousy and decides that these people have too much (while riding around in cars that cost a lot more).
Seriously, some of you need to step back and take a fresh look at things.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
See I believe this is a sterotypical view.
How many people who are unemployed on JSA do you know who have afforded such things while being on benefits? - How many do you know by name?

I quite agree that there is quite a stereotype about such thngs but I can honestly say that I do personally know several (yes, by name) who do fall into this category.
I know that not all chavvy-looking types are unemployed but I am always amazed when unemployed friends (particularly those who seem to know how to get the most out of the 'system') appear with another new smart-phone or their kids get another new pair of Nikes.  In fact I know unemployed single mothers whos children (from 10 to mid-teens) have Blackberrys, I-Phones or similar.
I have  decent job, work hard, PAY TAX but my children go without such things, they don't however, go without a decent meal.
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

Well when I was working earning decent money I still never managed to afford a smart phone. To this day I have a £15 cheap job from Tesco. Despite its price its a great little phone.. predictive text, caller blacklist (great for a twat of a boss).. what more could I need?  Wink