cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol Prices

Ellis
Grafter

Petrol Prices

So the Government won't reduce the fuel tax.
At 84 and a member of the National cyclists organisation I have decided to give up driving and use my bike and bus pass. It's their loss, I shall be nearly £1,000 better off. That will go a long way toward taxis when needed (which will not be often). 
34 REPLIES
annerimmington
Grafter

Re: Petrol Prices

Good on yer Ellis Smiley    Wish there were more like you.      I know cars are a necessity for some especially in rural areas, but there are lots of people who are too damned lazy to walk to the local shops or to hop on a bus/train to work.    We could go a long way to improving the health of this nation if people were not so reliant on their cars 24/7 and start exercising - it won`t kill them Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060717025245AANQCk5
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: annerimmington
or to hop on a bus/train to work.   

Unfortunately in a lot of cases it's still cheaper to use a car than use public transport.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I know cars are a necessity for some especially in rural areas, but there are lots of people who are too damned lazy to walk to the local shops or to hop on a bus/train to work.

Don't take this the wrong way anne, but when was the last time you used public transport that was realisticaly affordable? I've used it most of my life and its not cheap and even if you buy a mega rider the services are not reliable, run late or just don't go to/from whre you want within a reasonable distance.
We could go a long way to improving the health of this nation if people were not so reliant on their cars 24/7 and start exercising - it won`t kill them Roll eyes

Quote from: Strat
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060717025245AANQCk5

There was one on the suns website the other day. I think he was 15 if memory serves.. He was at the gym every day and some marshall arts expert. He dropped dead on the sofa and couldn't be revived. Excercise for many may be ok but again its a case of everyone being tarred with the same brush. Everyone is different yet this is something that many people refuse to acknowledge.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and its certainly not cheaper on Public transport for two people
Fixes: 125

...especially if, like us, the service is infrequent and only come/go in one direction as we're just about at the end of the route.
To go anywhere of note can be up to 3/4 buses and nothing after around 5:30 in the evening (don't think I've ever seen a bus on a Sunday) Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Well done Ellis
Quote from: Mav
To go anywhere of note can be up to 3/4 buses

If only the bus and train companies would do Joined-up-Transport number of times the bus-meets-the-train time table is changed so it doesn't meet up.
Why oh why do the bus timetables need to be continually updated changed?
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Why oh why do the bus timetables need to be continually updated changed?

I never understood that either. Very odd. People want a regular reliable service but every half a year they seemed to change all the timetables and bus times so that you'd be inconvenienced even more.
Ellis
Grafter

All valid points. I guess we are very, very lucky. 20min. service to Cambridge (7 miles), 30min. service (change buses at Cambridge) to St Neots. 20min. service to St Ives (change to Guided Bus at Cambridge. To visit my step daughter near Oxford, 30min. service on X5, but it's a long journey timewise so we have to stay a day or two. It's not everyone who is lucky enough to have such good services.
Curiously, my wife used to work for the company that started the Cambridge to Oxford service.
Community Veteran

But Mr Osborne said: 'There's an inconvenient truth which is the fuel duty rises you are referring to are the ones put in place by Labour, that you voted for and anyone who was in the last parliament voted for.

The government hasn't decided the contents of the budget yet but I would be surprised if some relief isn't given to drivers.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Ellis
So the Government won't reduce the fuel tax.
At 84 and a member of the National cyclists organisation I have decided to give up driving and use my bike and bus pass. It's their loss, I shall be nearly £1,000 better off. That will go a long way toward taxis when needed (which will not be often). 
Well done, you are a brave man.
I would not have the nerve to cycle on any road in the UK, if you think about the number of people driving around with no insurance, no driving license, along with all the pot holes in the road then cycling becomes fairly risky.
Having said that there are more cycle lanes/off road routes being made available so hopefully more people will take up cycling in the future. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just come back from a short break in Abergavenny... travelling distance was 160 miles.... 11.7 ltrs at £1.44 per ltr... (twice as much as it was 7 years ago)...  equiv to 2.6 gallons..... cost of journey £16.85 two persons on board, so cost was £8.42 each....
Now I don`t think public transport can beat that.... and it is rather a long walk, !.... also it was "door to door" which public transport fails to achieve...
We spent 4 days there, travelling around country lanes, seeing some really wonderful views.... again... door to door... and public transport could not do this... so even though it is very expensive, for two persons to have a short break with the convenience it works out much cheaper than public transport.
I did sign the petition thingy for "Fair Fuel"... but I doubt it will do any good....
these con servatives, can`t see further than their snouts.... the benefit to every person, and the country in general, and the state of the economy, how it would be best to reduce the tax on fuel to get it moving again... literally...
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
these con'ems, can`t see further than their snouts.... the benefit to every person, and the country in general, and the state of the economy, how it would be best to reduce the tax on fuel to get it moving again... literally...

Sorry just had to correct your spelling mistake there Wink
Labour were just as bad though wern't they. Don't you remember all the expenses scandals and things? Tony Blair is the richest ex-PM in history, Brown was just as clicky and now we have another self-serving Tory at the helm.
This won't change until people start voting differently instead of playing ping-pong with the big two all the time. You all know it yet how many of you just switch to the other because its a guaranteed way of getting the current / past mob out?
pin2011
Grafter

But don't we have to repay the DEFICIT??  At the same time the business secretary wants to talk of abolishing the 50% tax rate for the super wage earners? Who needs more than £150K anyway? Except for those who have to live in a mansion.