cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol Prices..

mcgurka
Grafter

Petrol Prices..

99.9 pence per litre, is the cheapest around here (dundee) at the moment...
ive heard the some stations go as high at £1.30 per litre...
Is anyone else getting slightly hacked off at the price, considering 75% of that is tax!
137 REPLIES
suesykes
Grafter

Re: Petrol Prices..

Average round here is about £1.04. one garage at Boston still at 95p.  Dont know how long for tho. 
nadger
Rising Star

Unleaded is currently 101.9 in our local Tesco but seems to go up daily. Diesel was 105.9 yesterday when I looked going past.
It's said that we actually have one of the lowest pre-tax prices in Europe but it's always been the case that if you drive, drink and smoke (not all at once please) you are an easy target.
One thing I used to like when I had a diesel was tanking up in Calais at French prices which were about 25% less.
I look at the French news on TF1 and the French are protesting about fuel price increases as only they can do.
Community Veteran

If you want to find the cheapest fuel in your area log on to:
http://www.petrolprices.com/
Here in Essex we are currently paying 101p a litre for unleaded.
mcgurka
Grafter

I remember the last time petrol prices rose, do you reckon we will see strikes in the Uk, and roadblocks as well?
Kinda upsetting given that america, who use so much more oil than us pay around 50% or less than what we do!
<edit>
<clipped from the web>
At this late stage the Government will not to reverse their increase in Fuel Duty. There is another 2.00p/litre increase due April 1st 2008, 6 months down the road.
The present Government is borrowing far too much money to "throw" at various projects, claiming things are getting better. Sooner or later you have to pay the "piano player". The only way to raise revenue is from the general public through "taxes and charges".
The "disposable income" of the general public is shrinking faster than they can earn it.
</clip>
</edit>
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Also don't forget that VAT is charged on top of the post-duty price, meaning you're paying tax on top of a tax Shocked
So when the rate of duty goes up, or even oil prices rise etc, the proportion of VAT increases, so the governement wins.
Still nice to know they're just introducing new taxes for services we supposed to be already paying for. What with road charging (if petrol tax isn't already a levy per mile then I don't what is), paying Livingstone's £8 tax to drive into here after paying petrol duty and road tax, and now we have rubbish bag tax .. something I'd had assumed our council tax paid for.
suesykes
Grafter

Hey... C'mon guys give the government a break....
Do you realise that last year OUR government spent a £5 million budget on a campain to warn elderly people about wearing worn out slippers.
Thats gotta be 5,000,000 well spent.  he he
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: suesykes
Hey... C'mon guys give the government a break....
Do you realise that last year OUR government spent a £5 million budget on a campaign to warn elderly people about wearing worn out slippers.
Thats gotta be 5,000,000 well spent.  he he

Glad I didn't see that or it would really have worried me  Wink
Keep wearing mine out as can't afford fuel for the car Grin
Community Veteran

It's time for some more fuel depots to be blockaded.
Only with the type of publicity caused last time, will the government move to reduce petrol costs.
The run up to a general election would be great timing.
Chilly
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why is petrol in London always cheaper than petrol up North?
Here in London you can get it as "cheap" as 97p.

Midville
Grafter

£1.05 in our local TESCO - toooo much!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Petrol companies charge what they can get away with. I live mid way between Brighton and Crawley (Gatwick). Here all the petrol stations (Tesco, Shell, Esso, BP) are consistently 2 to 3p per litre more expensive than their equivalents along the coast or around Crawley. Go to Haywards Heatch and you often pay a penny on top of our prices.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midville
£1.05 in our local TESCO - toooo much!

Yes, don't believe Tesco are always the cheapest.  They are only cheap if they are near an Asda selling petrol cheaper and they will match the price.
mcgurka
Grafter

RE London and 'Cheap Petrol'
Dont forget you guys have to pay congestion charges and what not, so its probably made back there!
Its not really the stores (tesco etc), they only make about 3p per litre.
So I suppose its 99.9 p per litre, - 9p for retailer costs (delivery etc)
you are left with 90p, and the petrol costs around 25p to the petrol refinery, ooh looks like a blatent 65p tax, 300% the price of the petrol.
How would the government feel if when they bought something, they were charged 300% tax on it.
Dont suppose it would bother them, they would just put up OUR taxes to fund their increased wages Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What is it about petrol that makes people behave differently? As other fuel prices have gone up, people improve the insulation of their homes, look for the most efficient boilers when they replace them, look at the ratings on domestic appliances such as fridges, bug energy saving lighbulbs etc.
Come cars, the majority of people pay scant regard to the fuel consumption when making a choice - you can tell the ones who do as they often own diesels.
My Zafira can easily cruise along at 80 with four adults, a full boot and a top box - it's a 1600 - so why do people need cars with such big engines?
If you drop your top speed by 5 mph you make significants savings with the improved economy.
So why do people beef so much about the cost of fuel when options to reduce the total amount they pay are in their own hands?
And why are people so wedded to their car when Top Gear proved that it is quicker to get across London on a bike, on a boat down the Thames, or on public transport than using a car?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)