cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol/Diesel Fuel prices on the increase - Rip Off ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Petrol/Diesel Fuel prices on the increase - Rip Off ?

OK.. we had a thread on the fall of prices... this one is on the rise !...
I notice from my weekly email, that prices have started to rise... lowest around here was £1.06 now it is showing as £1.09  
I suspect this is subterfuge to bring back profits to the BIG BOYS and an excuse to prove that the "current" price is not a reflection of "actual" cost....
Not a lot we can do about it, though... we still have to pay to travel .....
It will also be used by the Utility companies to defer price cuts as long as possible, (if at all )...
Modified the title.... to save starting another thread.....

If 1 ltr is priced at 1.069 and you put 23 ltrs in the tank.... that should be £24.587pence to pay... which way is it "rounded up" by the till?  £24.59? if so.... you ( we ) are being ripped off to the tune of millions of tenths of a penny by the petrol companies.....
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Petrol/Diesel Fuel prices on the increase - Rip Off ?

Petrol/Diesel prices are always a rip-off.
Multinational oil companies making massive profits + exorbitant taxation (of the consumer, not the oil companies) = rip-off.
Electric cars are charged using electricity produced mainly from fossil fuel but they pay no Fuel Excise Duty (and reduced VAT), proper fuel has duty then VAT is charged on both the fuel and the duty, this is the only real reason that electric vehicles are cheaper to run.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

is the price of petrol/diesel really a rip-off?
when you consider the actual price of it once you have removed all the tax than the price is cheaper than a litre of lemonade!
http://www.abd.org.uk/taxtable.htm
consider the costs to actually get the oil to then produce fuel, to do it for the the price they do is quite remarkable really.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
once you have removed all the tax than the price is cheaper than a litre of lemonade!

Lemonade's a rip-off!
Brand name lemonade is ridiculously priced because it's 98% carbonated water and sugar, costs virtually the same to produce as Tesco Value lemonade which is a hell of a lot cheaper than Diesel (without the tax).
The cost of producing fuel is relatively low because everything is done in such massive quantity (the up-front investment is large but so are the profits once the 'liquid gold' is flowing).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I would be surprised if the tiny cuts utility companies have got away with hasn't been brought up in the boardrooms of oil companies.
Prices already starting to rise should be no surprise in light of that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: w23
once you have removed all the tax than the price is cheaper than a litre of lemonade!

Lemonade's a rip-off!
Brand name lemonade is ridiculously priced because it's 98% carbonated water and sugar, costs virtually the same to produce as Tesco Value lemonade which is a hell of a lot cheaper than Diesel (without the tax).
The cost of producing fuel is relatively low because everything is done in such massive quantity (the up-front investment is large but so are the profits once the 'liquid gold' is flowing).

i'd say being able to get the oil, turn into fuel, and ship it to petrol stations for 30p per litre is pretty cheap!
it's the 80p per litre tax and duty that is the problem.
Community Veteran

i'd say being able to get the oil, turn into fuel, and ship it to petrol stations for 30p per litre is pretty cheap!

If Diesel wasn't so expensive, they could save a fair bit on the shipping...
Lips are sealed
[/coat]
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

As I mentioned in the other thread petrol seems to have crept up a bit recently although yesterday at our Tesco (Esso) I paid 102.9p a litre, and that isn't using any fuel save discounts. Funny, up until recently our BP station was the cheaper but they are now 106.9p - go figure Undecided
Community Veteran

The price of crude has increased by about 15% in the past couple of weeks.
Community Veteran

Same old same old.
Costs go up prices rise immediately.
Cost go down..................................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

They haven't gone up here yet
Community Veteran

Nor here as I stated in post #7 Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
If 1 ltr is priced at 1.069 and you put 23 ltrs in the tank.... that should be £24.587pence to pay... which way is it "rounded up" by the till?  £24.59? if so.... you ( we ) are being ripped off to the tune of millions of tenths of a penny by the petrol companies.....

Thats nothing. On Watchdog last year or the year before they had a story about petrol pumps suddenly jumping up a penny when you finished. All the companies denied it except Sainsburys who admitted that they "round it up" when you hit £10.00. Watchdog swallowed it and left it at that (stupid BBC softening them up). Thing is, if it can pump out exactly £10 of juice, why on earth do they suddenly need to "round it up" at all? - They don't. So I stopped putting in £10.00, now i go just below and inconvenience the petrol station staff who have to count up some change instead  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ 7up..... yeah,.. I used to do that, when I could only afford to put in a tenner at a time...  the cashiers didn`t like it when you said "pump number 2"... and they say...  "Nine pounds eighty three pence.... "  ( usually no "please" ! ! !)...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
They haven't gone up here yet

The cheapest place round here went up last week (so no longer the cheapest).
The more expensive ones haven't had to put their prices up, probably because they didn't bother dropping them enough when the cost was going down.
Call me 'w23'