Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petrol Can, do you still carry one?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Petrol Can, do you still carry one?

Years of motoring and I always kept a can in the boot, but not now as to-days clever cars tells us when they are getting empty and then how many miles before we run out - so no more walking the white line in search of a petrol station.... hopefully.

Do others still 'carry the can' or like me, just keep one in the garden shed for the mower and such.. Roll eyes 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Petrol Can, do you still carry one?

I guess you must of kicked a few cans en-route then.

Nope, only ever carried a can in the boot for fetching petrol for the lawn mower.

Water: yes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Nope not anymore, used to carry a can of diesel just in case, my old Mondeo would happily (usually) do the 35miles to Edinburgh to fill up once the light came on, but just in case... These days FINDING the bloody petrol can for the lawnmower takes longer than cutting the grass.
Fixes: 47

My first car, a VW Beetle had no petrol gauge so carrying a gallon of petrol in the boot was mandatory.

The habit carried on with my next car which had a fuel gauge but it's quite a few years, and a few cars since I carried one.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

Just amazing the things we suddenly realise we no longer do..... like going down the pub.Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
maranello
Aspiring Pro

Never felt the need to carry a petrol can, but when I had a Mini I always had a gallon of water for the radiator, a small toolkit, and a spare set of points, fuses, distributor cap, spark plugs and fan belt. And a clothes peg (if you've owned an old Mini you can probably guess what it is used for!)

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No I don't for one simple reason. Moons ago I saw a row of cars in a seaside car park all on fire and being extinguished by the local fire brigade.

It was a hot day and somebody thought it wise to leave an empty petrol can in their car with closed windows. Naturally petrol vapour hangs around in the can for quite a while (unless you've left it open and outdoors for a few days) and so once super heated in a car on a very hot day the thing went bang and caused several other cars to go up in smoke.

I do have petrol cans and do use them to go and get petrol to run the SORN'd car on the drive but i'd never intentionally carry one "just in case". I'd rather be caught out and just buy one at the petrol station while i'm there and then add it to the collection of them I have here (3 at present).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

@maranello

Ah yes, used to carry a spare clutch cable for my Viva HA van (the nipple ends had a nasty habit of breaking off) and it was easy peasy to change at the road side. 

The only 'spares' I carry now are a set of bulbs, a mini screwdriver kit for those stupid shaped screws when replacing them, a set of fuses, and some screen wash. Oh, and jump leads which I keep wrapped around the spare wheel.  

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Not any more, after five years for arson!Funny

Seriously though, the estimates of how many miles left until a fill-up is needed, should be regarded with caution, as they rely on historical data. It's too easy to pass a M'way service area, then find the warning showing because of a hold up. Off at the next junction to find a station, it takes ages to find one. That 50 km you thought you had is gone in 20. The filling station is at 19.3Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

7up wrote:

No I don't for one simple reason. Moons ago I saw a row of cars in a seaside car park all on fire and being extinguished by the local fire brigade.

It was a hot day and somebody thought it wise to leave an empty petrol can in their car with closed windows. Naturally petrol vapour hangs around in the can for quite a while (unless you've left it open and outdoors for a few days) and so once super heated in a car on a very hot day the thing went bang and caused several other cars to go up in smoke.

I do have petrol cans and do use them to go and get petrol to run the SORN'd car on the drive but i'd never intentionally carry one "just in case". I'd rather be caught out and just buy one at the petrol station while i'm there and then add it to the collection of them I have here (3 at present).

Elderly donkeys years ago my brother-i-l left some oily rags in his car in his garage. It was  summer and hot, The rags combated overnight. Th car was a write-off, and he and family could have been.

Sun is not required for a burning car.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I only carry a petrol can (two, technically) when going to fill 'em up at the petrol station nearby for the garden equipment, did try just carrying them with me in general, but you get odd looks when sat on a bus with a petrol can on your lap... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have never run out of petrol in my life, once that needle drops below the halfway mark then the next stop is the filling station unless I am on the motorway in which case that journey is always started with a full tank which will last way past the 200 mile mark.

As for keeping some spare petrol in a can am I no correct in thinking that petrol, has a use by date ?

According to the instructions for my petrol mower, petrol older than a few months should not be used.

Minivanman
Hero

I never kept petrol in the can, just the can in case I ran out and even though 'cars of old' had boots, it still stunk of petrol fumes and it's those that ignite, not the fuel itself I believe.

As for that 'use by times' I did hear about that as well. 

My old step dad would never let it go below half either, but it was not a habit I followed. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

One fun quote from t'internet (so of course, may or may not be a true fact), in the right air-fuel mixture, one cup of petrol has a similar explosive force as 15 sticks of dynamite, which is quite a big boom... Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

As for keeping some spare petrol in a can am I no correct in thinking that petrol, has a use by date ?

According to the instructions for my petrol mower, petrol older than a few months should not be used.

I've heard or read reference to 6 months several times, but never had any problem with mowers or strimmers, 2 and 4 stroke, with petrol nearer to 12 months old on occasion.

Not young enough to know everything