cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition to stop Donald Trump's proposed state visit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Petition to stop Donald Trump's proposed state visit

Has anybody been watch the rate of signatures being added to the petition on the Parliament website?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

Over 330,000 when I looked just now.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
57 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Petition to stop Donald Trump's proposed state visit

Well, it might well "get discussed" in parliament... but you can bet that it will go ahead, regardless... Britain can`t afford to make enemies of our friends at the moment... so some diplomatic work will have to be done to safeguard the visit... give those "spin doctors" a few sleepless nights... I hope...

Community Veteran

Well the reaction so far has made Theresa May get off the fence and tell her foreign secretary and home secretary to contact their US counterparts about a travel ban imposed by President Trump.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

467,463 signatures  So far

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Bet the petition is mentioned on the BBC1 news at 6:05pm - wonder how much it will go up after that?

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

shutter wrote:

Well, it might well "get discussed" in parliament... but you can bet that it will go ahead, regardless... Britain can`t afford to make enemies of our friends at the moment... so some diplomatic work will have to be done to safeguard the visit... give those "spin doctors" a few sleepless nights... I hope...

@shutter Well said!Thumbs Up The queen has, I'm sure had to entertain much worse people. Trump seems to be a braggart, bully, and molester, but he's never been found guilty of anything like that in court, nor is he a heinous dictator, who disposes of his own people.

IMHO these on line petitions should be banned, as they work on emotion rather than reason. Emotion in diplomacy is a dangerous guide to actions taken,

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

jelv wrote:

Well the reaction so far has made Theresa May get off the fence and tell her foreign secretary and home secretary to contact their US counterparts about a travel ban imposed by President Trump.

@jelvI'm not sure the personalisation of the issue to TM is helpful. We are not aware of the true expediency of expression of a government or its minister is at a time. Timing matters over emotion once more.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

It was well telegraphed beforehand that Trump would come out with something like this - TM should have been ready for it and when pushed at the news conference come up with something considerably better that what can be summarised as "nothing to do with us". Only when pushed by a large number of prominent people condemning the move (including politicians in her own party) has she made noises. She's proving as weak as DC - reacting, not leading.

acr
Rising Star

Just playing devil's advocate here !

Trump was democratically elected as President and he made various promises as part of his campaign. It is good to see a politician actually carrying out the promises he made.

Also there are 16 countries that ban Israeli passport holders from entering their countries. These include Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Syria & Yemen. Why does everyone object to the USA banning passport holders from these same countries but nothing is said about those countries banning Israeli passport holders ?

Why would anybody want to sign a petition against democracy and politicians delivering their promises. 

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Luzern wrote:

.....IMHO these on line petitions should be banned,

...along with referenda Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Don't know why he's bothering banning immigrants on security grounds really....   Americans make a pretty good job of killing each other without any help from them. Their homicide numbers are eye watering!

Fixes: 104

Obama banned Iraqi refugees for six months and no one batted an eye lid, there are 16 countries that ban anyone with an Israeli passport and I don't see a large outcry.

Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 47

If they are allowed into the US they wouldn't get past customs with weapons.

No problem there though. They can just pop into a corner shop and buy a bag full.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman
Hero

Just a load of horse 'poo' bull 'poo' stirring garbage.

Love him or loath him the guy was elected and other countries including ourselves here in the UK have done far worse.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of swear filter removed as per forum rule.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.